1968 Mustang Timing - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 09:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1968 Mustang Timing

Hello Im new here I have a question I hope somebody can answer MY car was running very good but I put a timing light on it and it was runing about 30 degrees advanced so Looked up manufacture specs 6 degrees advanced so I moved it to 6 degrees and took it for a test drive and It feels like I lost 50 hP
can anybody tell me what I should do

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2005, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

timing

Initial advance, factory recommended is 6 degrees. Im thinking what you did was retarded it to 6 degrees total.
Disconnect your vacuum line from the carb to the distributor and plug it, leaving the vacuum line connected to the carb.

With your engine at idle, set the timing at 6 degrees.
I would recommend going to 10 degrees initial advance, as you will see a big gain in power just from that.

After you have set the initial advance, and locked the distributor down, reconnect your vacuum line.

I am curious where you had the vacuum advance connected. If you had it connected to a vacuum manifold on the back of the intake, you are hooked in the wrong place. There is a metered port on the right side of the carb to connect your distributor vacuum.

You will notice that when you reconnect your vacuum line to the distributor, that your timing will increase significantly. That is what its supposed to do. Your vacuum advance only affects the engine at idle and cruising rpm. When you step down on the throttle, your vacuum signal drops off, allowing the distributor to drop back to your initial advance, plus the centrifical advance being made by the counter weights.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:52 AM

Last photo:

Its possible that you were on the wrong plug with the light.

Its possible that the advance weights are stuck in the full advanced position.

Its possible that the vacuum advance is stuck in the full advanced position.

Its possible that the harmonic balancer outer ring has slipped and is not indexed properly anymore.

First, make sure you are on number 1 plug. If you are, remove the cap and see if the rotor can be turned back and forth. It should move about 3/8" and then spring back. If not, the weights are stuck. Maybe a cleaning or may be time for a new dist.

While the cap is off, put a piece of vacuum hose on the advance and suck on it, you should see the points plate move, then move back when you release suction on the hose. If it does not move, replace it.

If the above three check out, you'll need to remove number 1 plug and get the piston to exact top dead compression and then check the timing mark to balancer marks. Timing mark on the balancer should line up with 0 on the balancer.

Its also a good idea to check the point gap BEFORE setting the timing. Gap should be about .018 or 30degrees of dwell on a meter.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.