Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   1968 Nova SS is about to end its Life (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1968-nova-ss-about-end-its-life-52017.html)

Seagroves 11-15-2004 09:07 PM

1968 Nova SS is about to end its Life

Two days ago I seen a 1968 Nova sitten in a junk yard. I drove around to the junk yard store. Asked the person at the desk, if I could have a look at that old 68-69 Nova sittin out there near the road. He said sure, I walked over there seem to be complete. No major damage on the car its self. It had SS badges on it. I got really stunned to see a perfect 1968 Nova SS in a junk yard!:eek: The owner of the yard came walkin up to me, asked if I could use any help. I asked how much? He said which part? I said the Whole thing, he said "I am sorry but the state of N.C. will not let me sell this car to you unless a title is in hand." This stunned me more!? I asked about the car itself It was a 1968 Nova SS 396/350hp. I jumped to my feet. How about if it wasn't going to be put back on the road? NO. How about just Drag Racing? NO. Every question came with a NO. Then I asked the BIG QUESTION what will happen to this car if no one shows ownership? ................"CRUSHED". :drunk: My mouth dropped open WHAT?WHY?WHEN? So in Two weeks on 11/28/04 this 1968 Nova SS 396/350hp one of 234 MADE will be ending its life on Earth. :pain:

I only wish of a loop hole? :rolleyes:

Smokey Mt. ,N.C.
(828) 669-7106 Hall's junk yard

Ghetto Jet 11-15-2004 09:12 PM

I would steal it. Or buy the whole thing in pieces if you're one of those "honest" people.

Seagroves 11-15-2004 09:16 PM

You know if it comes down to that I might just buy the body parts at different times. And get a new chassis. use it for Drag Racing.

Novaman78 11-15-2004 09:17 PM

Oh man, bummer. I wonder if you can apply for a lost title? get the vin and send in for a title? But that would take weeks and you don't have that long. If you could gt a title see if he would hold off for a little while, or do like ghetto said and steal it.

Ghetto Jet 11-15-2004 09:17 PM

You should be able to get a title for it. A reconstructed title or something.

4 Jaw Chuck 11-15-2004 09:18 PM

:eek:

That is so wrong, phone your local congressman and make a stink. What does he want for the car as parts?

Restore60s 11-15-2004 09:28 PM

Save the SS

I talked to one of my brothers at the State Police. Follow these steps,
Go back to the salvage yard and get the VIN #. And get the price of what they will sell you the car for pending you go to the court house and get proper paper work.
Go to your court house and get a application to register & title a car. Make sure you explain to the clerk of courts what you are doing and it is a rare car about to be destroyed. They do understand.
Take the application and the VIN# to the Sheriff's dept. to have the VIN# ran to verify not stolen. They will sign the app. & possibly since the car cannot be moved send a deputy to see the car in person. If the vehicle is clean you can return to the clerk of courts office and pay the taxes and title fee. They will give you a reciept for applied title .
You will have to work out with the salvage yard owner the process. Clean record car, pay him, bring back court records, take it home.

poncho62 11-16-2004 05:27 AM

Sounds like an "old wives tale" to me..............a few pictures of it may convince me to change my mind.

Besides, the wrecking yard guy knows what it's worth...he would have it parted out long before it's crushed.

Hippie 11-16-2004 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by poncho62
Sounds like an "old wives tale" to me..............a few pictures of it may convince me to change my mind.

Besides, the wrecking yard guy knows what it's worth...he would have it parted out long before it's crushed.

Don't bet on the wrecking yard guy knowing what he has, a lot of these guys just see this stuff as so many cents per pound............

There was yard near me with hundreds of 50's and 60's cars and most were driven in from the owner's used car lot after they sat so long without selling. Due to some legal issues they closed the yard about 20 years ago and couldn't sell so much as a lug nut. Even after they were free to sell again they remained closed. About 5 years ago they crushed EVERY single car!!! '55-'56 Crown Victorias, a rust free '64 GTO sedan, '55-'57 Chevy's, T-Bird's, Chevy II's, retractable hardtop Fairlanes, Hudson Hornets, Studebakers, you name it. There were also several 30's and 40's cars in nice shape as well. Gone forever because the owner didn't want to "mess with that old crap anymore". I'm trying to find pictures of it in it's heyday but ask just about anybody in Western Illinois about Henderson's Junkyard on IL Rt. 94 just North of Aledo, IL. They'll tell you the same thing.

Restore60s 11-16-2004 07:11 AM

Nova

Hippie's right all they see it as is metal per pound. And metal prices are up right now.

CET 11-16-2004 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by poncho62

? for you. Don't companies get "polution credits" for every car they destroy that is older than a certain year? Maybe the junk yard owners get some $$$ for scrapping that horrible gas sucking junker ( kidding here! ).

killerformula 11-16-2004 02:38 PM

Well, take a wheel off of it and say, I'd like to buy this part.

Then say "ok, so, how much for the rest of the parts?

K:P

slomotion 11-16-2004 03:39 PM

Your biggest problem appears to be the yard guy. The miles of bureaucracy can be over-come if you have the patience and document everything.

In the early '70's I was stationed in Memphis TN. Just across the line in Mississippi there was a bone yard that had a lot of unusual stuff. I bought a '60 Chev sedan delivery body on a rolling chassis....no engine, but I got a bill of sale. Towed it home to Memphis.
My folks lived in NC and were selling a '59 Chev w/ 283 at ps pb. Looked like a good match to me. Bought the car, had dad give me a bill of sale with VIN and engine numbers. Drove it to TN, took out what I needed and sold the rest to a local yard. I got a reciept from the yard although the guy balked a little.
Then "Uncle Sam" transfered me to South Carolina where the car was finally finished. Fortunately I had established a "paper-trail" from Miss.,TN.,NC., and when it came time to register/title the car all they did was send a State Trooper to the house to verify the papers, and ascertain that the car was safe to drive. I had to fill out another paper and have it notarized, send it and a few dollars to the DMV and they assigned me a new VIN.

I said all that to say if you can get the Nova away from the yard-man, the rest can be overcome with time.

Are you sure he wasn't just jerking your chain? I'd keep an eye on it and see if it moves. If nothing else, and if it's worth it, I'd buy it like Johnny Cash........one piece at a time.

Nightfire 11-16-2004 05:10 PM

Remember, Money Talks!:thumbup: go there with cold hard cash, shove it in his hand, and tell him I'll buy it. He'll let you go with it.

Now another question about credibility. You said

"I asked about the car itself It was a 1968 Nova SS 396/350hp."

That means you asked about what car it was, and he told you 68 Nova SS with the 396 right? So he knows exactly what he has in his hands. He would never crush it if he knew all of this.

Mike

Linda R. 11-16-2004 05:45 PM

Dont bet on it.There is a Dodge dealership in N.J.
His father died and had brand new Hemis in crates from the 70s
and muscle car sheet metal .
People he knew said sell it so he offered it for salewith prices.
People came and tried to get a lower price ,he said sales over and loaded everything into dumptrucks right to the land fill.
He cares nothing about muscle cars and said i dont need the
headaches of people bugging me about that junk.
True story it was and still is Quigianio Motors inmorris county in
N.J. owners name is Mike.I know him and he has no Patience