1968 Z/28 engine fuel requirements - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1968 Z/28 engine fuel requirements

Let me start by listing the engine specs for a 1968 June built engine. These specs are from z/28 fact books and other articles/manuals not strait from my brain.
Holly 800 cfm carb., Chevy aluminum high rise intake manifold, 2.02” 1.60” double hump heads, I believe they are 64cc’s. “30/30” solid lifter cam with .452” intake and .455” exhaust lift, 229 degree intake duration and 237 exhaust (both measured at .050” tappet lift) and 78 degrees of overlap (at 0 lift). 11:1 forged aluminum pistons with floating pins, shot peened rods, forged steel large journal crank (2-bolt mains probably the weakest link).

Can I run on 93 pump fuel? The previous owner did and said he didn't have any problems. I hear so many different opinions. More questions to come...

Thanks,
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968z28dave
Let me start by listing the engine specs for a 1968 June built engine. These specs are from z/28 fact books and other articles/manuals not strait from my brain.
Holly 800 cfm carb., Chevy aluminum high rise intake manifold, 2.02? 1.60? double hump heads, I believe they are 64cc?s. ?30/30? solid lifter cam with .452? intake and .455? exhaust lift, 229 degree intake duration and 237 exhaust (both measured at .050? tappet lift) and 78 degrees of overlap (at 0 lift). 11:1 forged aluminum pistons with floating pins, shot peened rods, forged steel large journal crank (2-bolt mains probably the weakest link).

Can I run on 93 pump fuel? The previous owner did and said he didn't have any problems. I hear so many different opinions. More questions to come...

Thanks,
Dave
Try it and see how it reacts. If it pings that can be managed in several different ways which include:

- back off the timing till it stops

- richen the mixture till it stops

- source the carb air from outside the engine room to get cooler air

- reduce the engine operating temperature

One, some, or all of these can be used.

In addition to just backing the timing down, if it only detonates in places changing the timing curve to a slower rate can help. Also, the use of alcohol/water injection is very useful and these systems are inexpensive and don't require tearing the engine apart for installation, this is an old and effective trick.

Bogie
Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Yes you can get by on 93 but keep the RPMs down. I run a BB 396/12.5:1 cr As long as I keep it under 5500 it does fine. You may want to choose a brand name gas and tune your engine to it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.