1969 to 1985 chevrolet 350 small block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1969 to 1985 chevrolet 350 small block

I have a 94 camaro with a 305 tbi this engine is tired the cam is wiped rings are gone and it barely idles.

I have been searching ebay for a small block 350 for a good price and came across the company that sells remans. They have a 5.7 350 cubic inch engine for sale for $900 they say it fits Chevrolet and GMC Cars Trucks and Vans from 1969 to 1985 that use use 5.7 350 cubic inch engine. Will I have any issues dropping this into my camaro?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I think you have the years wrong, the 94 Camaro only came with a 3.4 liter V6. The Z28 came with the LT1 350.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardson110
I have a 94 camaro with a 305 tbi this engine is tired the cam is wiped rings are gone and it barely idles.

I have been searching ebay for a small block 350 for a good price and came across the company that sells remans. They have a 5.7 350 cubic inch engine for sale for $900 they say it fits Chevrolet and GMC Cars Trucks and Vans from 1969 to 1985 that use use 5.7 350 cubic inch engine. Will I have any issues dropping this into my camaro?
The heads will not accept you're intake, bolt angle change. Check the heads they also must have the accessory bolt holes on their ends otherwise your serpentine belt system won't fit on.

Your flexplate will not bolt to the crank. This will have to be replaced to fit the larger crank flange pattern that is used by older 2 piece (leaky seal) engines.

You'll have to reuse your old distributor as it's only compatible with your computer.

The 305 TBI will not like the extra inches and if the cam timing is different from what the TBI 305 is pleased to call a cam, it won't like that either. It doesn't take long before you've spent half a grand trying to get the computer so it runs the TBI properly.

It's doable but the money you saved on the engine will be spent on getting it to fit everything and making the computer happy.

I'd say unless you want to step up to building a hot rod with all that can entail, I'd find another 305 just like the one you have. You'll find yourself way ahead in the long run with the reduction in pain, suffering and cost.

Besides once an engine is gone the tranny tends not to be far behind, strapping a frisky new V8 in-front of a well used automatic shortly leads to the expense of a new/rebuilt automatic. Sticks are a bit better in this regard if they haven't been abused to where the synchos and bearings are worn out, then you get similar treatment from what's under the console as the slush box gives. So in any case you want to keep some cash on hand for the gear box.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.