Hot Rod Forum banner

1969 302 Engine Block Question

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am looking at an original DZ block for my 69 Z. It is .030 over.

But my question is that there is a sleeve in #7 cylinder and it has a little etching on the sleeve from anti freeze that leaked into the cylinder. Is this a big deal? If I do buy it should I just have it re-sleeved to be on the safe side? How much would it cost to have it re-sleeved. Thanks

Dave

#3 ·
If it just cosmetic you should be finew as we see this from time to time as long as there are no massive pits and it not right at the top of the clylinder where ring seal maybe comprimised,

And sleeveing cylinder on OEM block does distort the cylinders on each side of the sleeved cylinder and where the step is at the bottom of the cylinder to hold the sleeve we have seen them crack from the step down to the webbing on some high powered engines.

#10 ·
IMHO ... :)

If it is not the original DZ block for your Camaro ... ( matching number ) any decent 350 block is as good ... because after all ... anything but the factory installed block is " Just a replacement "

$900 for a incorrect number block with a sleeve is just plain stupid $$$ in my opinion ... and YES ... I have owned a real 69 Z-28

Fathom Green RS with the cowl hood ... white stripes ... AM-FM, low fuel light, rosewood steering wheel.

I did NOT buy it new ... but I did ride in it when it still had the dealer paper tag. I got it from the original owner ...

Wish I had it back ... :rolleyes:

#13 ·
DoubleVision said:
I`ll bet you do Deuce, it`s beautiful.
I sold it to to help buy a brick house. I also sold a real 1970 LS-6 Chevelle, 4 speed with a 4.10 gear :embarrass

But ... I still have the house. PLUS some of the money from the LS-6 went into 1932 Ford parts and pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.