1969 Camaro dash lights out follow-up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2003, 06:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1969 Camaro dash lights out follow-up

Hi guys, This is a follow-up to my dash lights on my 69 camaro lights not working. The responses are a couple of threads below this new one. I received some great suggestions but none worked. They were check the ground wires below the headlight switch which I did. I took them off cleaned and sanded and no luck. I have replaced the light bulbs. cleaned all the terminals and everything seems to be making good contact. The lighter is not connected could this be the problem? I didn't think it should but who know's anything is possible. The lights in the heater control works can I jump off of that some how? I would appreciate any more help that you can provide. Thanks again.

Hello all, I have a 1969 camaro Z28 that is mostly all original. The problem that I am having is that I have no dash lights. The fuse is good. The ground straps are connected the only thing that's not connected is the lighter but I didn't think that would make a difference. The light in the heater control unit functions. I read in the chiltons manual about something called an instrument regulator. Could this be the problem? If this is what is it then where is it and what does it look like. If you don't think that's the issue what could it be? Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Stumped??????
Old 06-17-2003, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

Thanks anyway.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

The potentiometer in the light switch may be bad. This is what regulates the brightness of the dash lights. In my Suburban, as in many old GM vehicles, you have to wiggle it around until you find a spot that conducts electricity. Mine works only if you put it to full bright & then wiggle it a bit. Sooner or later they will quit completely. Sometimes removing the switch & cleaning that part will work for a while. You may need a new switch. Try a known good (borrowed) switch before you buy one. Sometimes just wiggling the connectors will help also.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Daveh;

I wondered about that to, but the heater controll light works,they should be on the same circuit. You might check the sockets for power,if you don`t find any start testing back down the harness to the switch. If you don`t find anything the switch would have to be bad.

Troy;
Old 06-17-2003, 03:26 PM

The pc board may be bad on the back of the panel. When you pull it look for any burnt spots (discoloration), or any breaks/cracks of the plastic film on the board
Old 06-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

I would trace the wire from the Heater Control Light BACK to it's source and add a new wire THERE, running it to the other lights.

If you feed off the Heater Control Light itself, you'll be wiring in series ... and that will make each light dimmer as you add. It's better to run a power feed wire and jump off that to each light individually.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 06-17-2003, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Don`t screw up the wiring on a 69 camaro or any thing else.
When you start cutting and adding you are asking for trouble.
69 camaros do not have printed circuits.

If you trace the wires back to the source you will find out whats wrong,the wireing or the switch.

Pull the plug off of the switch,insert a hot wire in each hole that will check the wiring. If the light work then its your switch.

Gray is normally the dash light circuit.

HTH;

Troy;
Old 06-18-2003, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I have replaced the light switch and that wasn't it. I guess I have some other bad wire and I have to begin at square one and start with each wire and no I am not going to start hacking wires. That is asking for trouble. Isn't that why we are in this hobby for the challenge? Thanks for all of your help.

DaveH

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.