1969 Camaro Drift Car and Video.... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 01:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1969 Camaro Drift Car and Video....

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum, and the hot rodding stuff....
I am currently a factory driver for Falken Tire, and I run in the Pro Formula D drift series. Before you go tearing into me, I am also a race car driver. But there is hope, I am going all American, so to do drifting in style my car owner and I decided to do a 69 Camaro.....

Thanks for taking the time to check this out....Here is the video..

http://www.hotrodhomepage.com/drift/videos.htm

Thanks!

Ryan Hampton
http://www.ryanhampton.net

Advertisement

Last edited by poncho62; 05-31-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Real Men do it in the dirt. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Show-Me 100.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	5209  
Old 05-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

As far as I'm concerned drifting with a '69 Camaro is a huge waist of a perfectly good classic muscle car. Drifting is a waist anyway and has nothing to do with any kind of real racing IMHO (with the exception of dirt track racing of course). Drifting on pavement is an Asian sport that should be left to teeny boppers and rice burners who seem to like to do that kind of stuff. I suspect that most muscle car guys will feel the same way but I could be wrong.

Sorry if I rained on your parade but you asked....
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Learning something every day

Last journal entry: Adding some tunes
Last photo:

Drifting is a lot of fun when you actually do it. I drift sometimes with my friends on my highly modified 4-wheeler of all things. I put a 400ex engine in a 200fourtrax, lowered it, added some very worn down tires out back and it is a lot of fun. I dont really think its all asian we were doing powerslides and fishtails long before the asians stuck a name on it and called it their own. just an opinion from a kid though
Old 05-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

To each their own..............................This drifting craze is probably something that will peak and die out in time. I would rather see that than the stupidity of these......"Thump, Thump" stereo contests..............

By the way, I changed your link directly to the videos, instead of the homepage. Advertising on the board is "verbotten" and it looks like a company site.

Budget RVs
Old 05-31-2005, 01:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

yeah I watched the video, and you can see the problem I figured the thing would have right from the get go. A big block 69 camaro is just not a good chassis for drifting. You've got nearly 700 lbs of big block motor, then cooling and accessories, so you're probably talking about something on the order of 900-1000 lbs of weight way front of the center of the car, with a long wheel base. That doesn't even count the heavy (probably TH400) trans. Add another 250-350 for that. Now you've lightened the rear of the car, so this giant, heavy motor nearly becomes the center of gravity. You can see the problem in the video, and its illustrated further by the little Japanese car running around out there. He gets that big block sideways and you cannot hold it there, because you want your tires to give up friction for the purpose of drifting, and the car wants to spin around that center of gravity, so he's constantly spinning out if he doesn't baby the car. The Japanese car that's out there probably has the same problem, but the car is overall lighter and you're talking about an engine and trans that are not only closer to the center mass of the car, but probably at least 1/2 the weight of the camaro's drive line. So when you get that car in a slide you can push it a little harder without spinning it.

That's what I'm seeing, anyway. I'm no physicist or anything!

K
Old 05-31-2005, 02:24 PM
I Love My Willy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt101
Drifting is a lot of fun when you actually do it. I drift sometimes with my friends on my highly modified 4-wheeler of all things. I put a 400ex engine in a 200fourtrax, lowered it, added some very worn down tires out back and it is a lot of fun. I dont really think its all asian we were doing powerslides and fishtails long before the asians stuck a name on it and called it their own. just an opinion from a kid though
Where/How do people come up with such BS?

I'd love to see this lowered Honda fourtrax with a 400 motor built for drifting..
Old 05-31-2005, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreed

I'd love to see this lowered Honda fourtrax with a 400 motor built for drifting..
I was thinking the same thing, atv's are easy enough to tip going in a straight line..
Old 05-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I used to own a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 250, I could slide it or "drift" it with ease on anything from mud to sand to dry pavement.

It's all in how you ride it.

"Drifting" or "powersliding" is not a new sport...hell I powerslid my Mom's 1971 New Yorker completely around the bus loop at Red River College when I was young dumb and full of... Should have seen the look on the kids faces waiting for the bus. LMAO! The diagonal on that car filled both lanes within inches of the curbs HAhA! The old bias ply tires helped I admit.

It takes a certain amount of skill and I don't find it harder to slide a heavy car (and hold it there) compared to a light car, the difference is when you start to lose the back end of a big heavy car you can't bring it back as easily as a lighter car.

It's an inertia thing.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

That drifting can be frustrating for sure.

When I built the 312 in the picture, it wanted to drift if I really got on it shifting to second and third or let off to fast but it was corrected by adding a rear sway bar.

No problem now! You might try it!
Old 05-31-2005, 04:39 PM
I Love My Willy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Jaw Chuck
I used to own a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 250, I could slide it or "drift" it with ease on anything from mud to sand to dry pavement.

It's all in how you ride it.

"Drifting" or "powersliding" is not a new sport...hell I powerslid my Mom's 1971 New Yorker completely around the bus loop at Red River College when I was young dumb and full of... Should have seen the look on the kids faces waiting for the bus. LMAO! The diagonal on that car filled both lanes within inches of the curbs HAhA! The old bias ply tires helped I admit.

It takes a certain amount of skill and I don't find it harder to slide a heavy car (and hold it there) compared to a light car, the difference is when you start to lose the back end of a big heavy car you can't bring it back as easily as a lighter car.

It's an inertia thing.
I've got a couple of Honda 300 fourtrax 2WD that I've flipped trying to slide sideways several times. The most recent being in loose dirt.... the tires grabbed while I had the front wheels turned to the left and it through my *** off as it gently rolled over on to the handle bars, LMAO! Mind you, I do get a little stupid on them, but still, I can't imagine sliding one sideways on dry pavement, without it flipping over.

"the difference is when you start to lose the back end of a big heavy car you can't bring it back as easily as a lighter car."

I tend to disagree to that statement..
The longer wheel base of a larger car would take longer to come around on you, which would give you more reaction time then that of the shorter wheel base, smaller car.... no?

I could be wrong
Old 05-31-2005, 04:54 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

used to call drifting autocross. run against the clock. if you were fast you had all the style you needed.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Cool I personally dont mind drifting, that's because I'm not too opinionated about imports (different story) and open minded about all cars.
Dig your Camaro, nice to see something different.

Mike
Old 05-31-2005, 06:59 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

I think it's a burnout contest of sorts around a racetrack. Heck, I "drift" quite often on empry parking lots in the winter , it's a lot of fun. A lighter weight car (think foregin stuff) would be better due to inertia (this point has been mentioned earlier) but it'd be interesting to do, it's like a controlled donut.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Learning something every day

Last journal entry: Adding some tunes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreed

Ok I lied lol. I do have a pretty custom fourtrax but theres no 400ex motor I got a carb, cam, nad lifters from a 250 and i did a simple porting job on the heads. makes good power for a 200 lol. I dragrace more than anything but when the roads are wet i get a little crazy . The bike is lowered a little to keep it on all fours or the back two. I did actually do that work on the motor if you were wondering. I'm never happy with a stock small engine.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.