1969 Chevy C/10 truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 07:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1969 Chevy C/10 truck

So here are the basics about me and my project. I have years of experience of mechanicing on heavy equipment. I have helped work on several of my friends hotrods, pulling tractors etc. I'm no stranger to grease and wrenches and I have a huge shop. The thing is, I've always been half interested in making a hotrod but never seen anything that just screamed build me, drive me. A few days ago I managed to get a 1969 chevy c/10 truck for free. The body is in supurb condition, but the truck was parked because of "engine problems". I realize I will have to find a new engine and tranny, probobly a new rear-end as well. My question is: What would you do to make this truck nice to drive around regularly, but also have a little umph to quiet those who would sneer at it?

P.S. I'd prefer not to ask friends of mine who know about things like this because of my huge ego at them realizing all of these years I was merely nodding my head at their technical talk of their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Just do a nice resto rod /with a 350sbc and 200r4 or 700r4..the rear you have is fine for a driver..then nice paint and a good interior so it screams nice truck..some aftermarket wheels and tires and when it is done there will be a lot of them coming over to look at it..Simple to do and people really like a nice truck..

Sam
Old 11-28-2008, 08:25 AM

C10

I agree.....I have a 65 C10, and have done just what he described. I have a 283 instead of a 350, but otherwise about the same.
It's my daily driver plus my shop truck and it's far from perfect but I get lots of comments about.
Just pick and engine and begin somewhere. You'll change you ideas along the way anyhow.
Google 1969 C10, and you will find stuff, and find the truck clubs.
Just enjoy it, and build it FOR YOU....not anyone else.
I think that is part of what makes Hot Rodding special. It may not be perfect, and it may not be all of what some people might want but it's mine....it's paid for.....and it's the way I WANT it!
Keep us posted.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:34 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Congrats on the good deal! I have a 71 c-10. The possibilites are endless with these trucks. I think onemoretime nailed it on the head, 350/350 combo, a posi, maybe a brake upgrade to disk, slight lowering kit and wheels and you will have a cool driver. PM sent
Old 11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
too many toys,not enough money

Last wiki edit: Garage heating Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 13

Forgot to mention, check for rust on the trailing arms, they are prone to rusting beacuse of the way they are welded togeher. Also check the rocker panels under your weather stripping, and cab supports, they run from the rubber mount (on frame) to the rocker panels, they like to rust also.

Is yours fleet bed, or step, long or short?

Wood bed?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

which motor and what motor "problem???"

pull and closely examine the spark plugs....

do a compression and/or leak down test to determine the condition of the whole rotating assembly.....
only after prepping the motor if it has sat for a long time (pre-lube everything, lots of threads on how to)....

if it will run at all, do some diagnosing with a vac guage:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ergoff/vac1.htm

way way to many motors get written off as "dead" when relatively minor repairs (timing chain and gears or head gasket or whatever) will "resurrect" them...
heck, 69'=points=may just be a shot $50? dist or wiring...

get it running if at all possible so you can evaluate the BRAKES and tranny and gears as step #1....

Last edited by red65mustang; 11-28-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

OK, as per usual, I'll take the contrarian point of view.

Spend $14 and get this book....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...7905559&sr=1-1

Then start snooping around for a dead Cadillac, 69 to 75 vintage with a 472 or 500 inch motor. Buy the whole car and start taking out what you need. Use the TH400 that's bolted to the motor, along with a stock torque converter.

A stock 472/500 will haul that pickup better than any stock small block Chevy and there's tons of room to do the swap.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Tech,
That is a fine idea as when i was looking for a motor for my rod I found a good running Cad for reasonable and that was way cheaper than any crate motor or rebuild motor combo.. that pickup will fly with one of those motors and probably do some very impressive burnouts if a fellow is so inclined.. One will need a posi with one of those motors in his truck..

Sam
Old 11-28-2008, 03:30 PM

update

I'm pretty sure the guy said it was a 303 engine, I mostly deal with 60 series detroits and/or cummins dozer engines so i'm not really sure. It has a short fleet bed on it, I was entertaining the thought of a wood bed, but I could see a blown tire in a burnout causing havok on that. The caddy idea is now firmly situated in my mind and I picked up a few different auto trader magazines, a thrifty nickle, I'm going to find a few books on this model truck or Chevy's in general and look through it. I will keep posted what I manage to get done on it. I -really- appreciate all of the input.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Here's just one quick, off the top example. Give this guy a couple of weeks with no responses and he'd probably give it up for $500. Particularly if you can get to his wife who wants the damned thing gone in exchange for some Christmas money....this one's in Houston....
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/915198599.html
Old 11-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

I f you are doing a Cad you need to know this guy..I have dealt with him and he is good to deal with..

http://www.cad500parts.com/

Sam
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

Hey KeyStoner check out the best site on the web for 67-72 chevy trucks

there is a TON of info and people that have done the Caddy swap.......

http://67-72chevytrucks.com

Have Fun!

Chas
Old 12-02-2008, 05:14 AM

69 chevy

When I was a kid, back in about '83, I had this great idea of dropping a caddy engine in my '71 Chevy. Most of those cars were still being driven,but you would see some around pretty cheap. Never did it back then, low on funds and not enough knowledge. But I did always wonder why guys were hunting down big blocks and in their search walking right by those land yachts with all those cubes under the hood just waiting to be unleashed. Just the lighter load of the pick up vs. the cad would make that beast runnnnnn!
The old 71 is long gone, but I replaced it with a 69 shortbed chevy and by luck came across a wrecked low mile SS454 truck... low and behold my big block truck came true. Again because of knowledge and funds, I sacrificed the throttle body and bolted on a 4 barrel, but the truck runs and drives great. I have enjoyed it for several years now and I am thinking thumper cam. Big blocks were never my most favorite, I have always been a chevy small block lover, but I have to say it certainly fills out a very accomodating engine compartment and with an OD transmission the fuel economy is tolerable especially since it is only a weekend cruiser.
To sum it up...go get that caddy engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only comment/question would be...If using the caddy trans, wouldn't you want to put a shift kit in it. Caddys were known to shift real smooth or wouldn't it matter because of weight difference. My truck doesn't have a real hard shifting kit and if I get on it chirps 1st 2nd and 3rd...I haven't been able to hold on long enough to try to get anything out of 4th.
A lot of those trucks came with posi rears...check yours out!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 AM

So just an update on my project. I found nothing wrong with the engine at all except for a busted water pump. Which cost very little time or money to replace. It runs pretty good, and I talked to the owner and he said the engine only has about 20k miles on it, he had just gotten it replaced a year before parking it. I have been sanding and painting, and it is taking forever but chameleon candy paint always does take a lot of time. It is going to end up a dark red-ish purple, with green flashing through. I will post some pictures after I finish painting.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.