1969 Firebird, how much sway bar is too much? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1969 Firebird, how much sway bar is too much?

I had a 79 Trans Am. It ruled. My 69 bird drives like a boat. I am making plans to beef up the the suspension and steering to somewhere in the range of where my 79 was at. I was thinking 1 1/8 for the front sway bar and 7/8 for the rear. However I found some 1 1/4 bars on summit. I know that a small increase in diameter really increases stiffness. Is 1 1/4 too much?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 04:06 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

herb adams tuning style was big anti roll bars and softer( than all out stiff) springs

if you are into firebirds/t/as you know whom herb is.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

I don't know how much different the suspension is between a 69 and a 75 f-body, but I thought I'd mention that a set of polyurethane bushings for the rear leaf spirngs made a tremendous difference for the better.
They were some real low cost parts from JC Whitney back in the mid 1980s. I don't recomend them for anything but leaf springs and sway bars though, as they will bind and potentially cause severe damage to suspention mounting points on the body in a 4-link rear end.
I also added a 1-1/4" front sway bar to the front end that I pulled from a salvage yard off of a mid seventies TA for $15. I don't know(doubt) if it will fit on a 69. It felt as if I could make the car do whatever I wanted it to after that. Hardly any body roll and you could tell the only side to side sway came from the tire sidewalls.
FWIW,
ssmonty

Last edited by ssmonty; 06-02-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

killer, thanks man
Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM

Last photo:

Herb Adams used sway bars that were so thick, the subframe wound up doing much of the twisting instead of the bar. He also did things like, tie the front of the frame tight to the firewall, so that it would crack to pieces after a season. No issue w/ Herb but his solutions tended to be simplistic.

A first-gen will never handle like a 2nd gen using easy parts, but you can come close w/ the standard methods.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.