Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1969 Firebird, panhard bar with leafsprings?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
My test for cars was an exit off the freeway in my town that I took to go home. This exit is now gone, changed to new version of freeway exits (isn't that amazing how they are changing them all?).
Anyway this was one of those tight hairpin like corners that goes off to the right , up the hill of the overpass then back over the top of the overpass.

I use to take that exit off the freeway at 50+ keeping it at 50 all the way to the top of the corner at the overpass. That sucker really handles pretty good. Blown away a lot of high end sporty types I'll tell you that, hit a corner with them on your bumper and when you come out they are way back there, then with the good old Nailhead to the floor, you are gone. Fun stuff, it sort of replaced the stop light drag races I had as a kid all the time which of course are now long gone and I don't want them back actually. That was stupid as crap. But to hit a corner out somewhere that no one is at and all you hurt is you? What the heck, it's a good ride. And yes, I have hurt me. In that Gran Sport hitting a freeway entrance too hard, I apexed the corner hitting it hard and was over my head and blew over the curb with my new Goodyears and Roadwheels, bent the left front wheel all to heck, along with the tie rod end. As I was sliding sideways across the dirt I pushed the right rear tire right off the rim. I changed the tire on the side of the freeway and still made my date. Yep, a lot better than draggin down the street safety for others concerned.

I dig the autocross at the Goodguys events but it is a little slow for me, just a little faster would be a lot more entertaining but it still is damn fun to watch. I don't plan on getting out there, those guys are way too serious for me I wouldn't stand a chance.

Brian