Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1969 Firebird, panhard bar with leafsprings?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosborn View Post
... If you did all aluminum bushings in both the front eye and the shackle, I would bet that you could hang the rear end nearly level with no support on the opposite side. I might try that the next time I have the opportunity. ...
I think you should try that, yes...you might be surprised. More easily (and accurately to negate the effects of any frame or bracket flexing), you could just clamp any old leaf-spring set in a vice with a means to measure deflection angle and then apply a torque wrench to the end.

I see a lot of book-reading here but not so much book understanding, and the meaning of "bind" is pretty-much lost in the wind along with where arc does and does-not mean anything. Said as a guy who canyon-raced for years and has built both coil- and leaf-spring cars. Just how much difference there is dialing in roll stiffness using sway bars on the different suspension types would be enough to let someone suspect what's going on when leafs are working...then if you take some actual measurements you might have actual knowledge. "Just saying".

Anyhow, you got the "roll-understeer" thing, which is something that most people don't have a concept of.