Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1969 GTO 400cid engine mystery
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

That's good to hear Bill although I'm in no mood to rip off my timing chain cover just to have a look. I will look closer at it though--maybe I will be able to see something peering out from under the cover that I may have missed before. Maybe when I pull the engine to change a leaky pan gasket (who came up with that design???) I'll dig a little deeper into this. I'll be able to examine the whole block then. The more I think of this the more I suspect that LATECH might have been on to something when he suggested that this may be a replacement factory engine. That would explain no VIN number. This whole drive train is pretty weird. I know the tranny is original and the rear axle may be as well. It is coded a WB which indicates a 2.56 ratio which was an "economy" option c/w 2-bbl carb on the 400cid with much lower compression.. This gave a 260hp rating I believe . Some owner before me may have ripped out that engine and replaced it with a factory replacement YS. The joys of buying a 43 year old car. In any case, I've since replaced the 2.56 gears and replaced them (they were shot anyway) with an Auburn limited slip. I'm going to bed now to dream of something else.