Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1969 GTO 400cid engine mystery
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I don't have any history on this car past the guy I bought it from. It was originally bought in Sacramento---that I know because I have a copy of the dealer order form. From there I was told it spent most of it's life in Arizona and eventually ended up in Seattle before the guy I bought it from brought it up to BC (Canada) which is where I am. Who knows how many owners there were or what work was done and by whom in between. I can believe it spent most of its life in Arizona as it's completely rust free and the interior showed all the signs of sun damage. The no rust is the main reason I got it. I suspect the engine has been out of the car at least once because you can see the RTV oozing from the pan gasket and the motor mounts look too new. Maybe it WAS originally an "economy" engine with the low 8.6 CR c/w 2bbl carb. That would explain the WB rear axle with the 2.56 gears. A previous owner may have decked the block to get the CR up. The number on the existing 4bbl indicates it came from a Ram III orIV which might make sense if it was a replacement for the original 2bbl. I'll probably never know for sure unless I tear the motor down and check the innards. In any case, the car runs well and it will only ever be a "driver" for me so it's only general interest that's driving my curiosity. Anyway, the research is fun.