Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1969 GTO 400cid engine mystery
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ya Jim . If I'd thought about your last posting about the "68" instead of "69" I would have realized it was a typo. My fingers were faster than my brain on that one. I was expecting detonation when I first drove it home as the seller, when asked, told me he had been running cheapest grade discount gas. But it didn't!!!
Since then, I've been putting in 89 octane and it runs great--no pinging or anything. Makes you wonder if someones already done what you suggest . Just one more mystery.
As mentioned previously,this is going to be just a summer driver.Just trying to get it to the point where it's safe, reliable and clean(i.e. pretty to look at)---- not going to take it very far as power upgrades are concerned. Later this year am planning to do a disc brake conversion(it's a bear to stop) and freshen up the front suspension at the same time . Next year some new paint and maybe some new wheels and tires. I've already got lots of catalogs (Ames,PST,NPD,Legendary,Ames,OPGI, Year One, Jegs and CPP--did I leave anyone out?). Great fun reading. The interior is pretty well re-done already except for trying to find a new radio that will accept my ipod and fit the dash without butchering it. I do appreciate your offer for help (as well as everyone else's who've posted) and may take you up on some of it as I get further into this thing.