1969 z28 in my garage...... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 10:35 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1969 z28 in my garage......

So i have finally decided today that im going to put my finances that i have into the camaro which has been sitting in my garage for 18 years,

took that out about 7 years ago to wash it, thats about it, the rear quarters are pretty bad, but its a complete car, sadly the engine and trans are not origional, they were stolen at 67 miles on the o.d.

my intentions are building a sleeping 383 roller block for it, and other than that keep it 100% origional, minus a few suspention mods (stock wheels etc..)

what do you guys think? and what am i looking at for price other than the motor for a decent resto that i would be doing all the the work to?

it has a 12blt posi 373 and a m21 that needs a rebuild as well, which i already have parts for.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Dry Heat

Last journal entry: along the weird tale..
Last photo:

A great car for sure..but in your garage for 18 years ?
And taken out to wash 7 years ago ?

the dan

Was this Dad's ?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

yes i was born and the car went away, its actually my mom's, my dad has a 66 vette he has taken with him since my parents have recently seperated, she has givin me the rights to the car as long as she gets to drive it whenever she wants when it is done. In that case i get the better half of the deal

another thing, is there a vin site that i can check the vin to figure out origional color, and maybe options?, i know it was a 302 and an m21
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Dry Heat

Last journal entry: along the weird tale..
Last photo:

Sorry for the separation..never easy. I have a 17 year old son that would love to have a 69 Z28..!!

But..that.."she has givin me the rights to the car as long as she gets to drive it whenever she wants when it is done. In that case i get the better half of the deal "

My wife would be driving it ALL THE TIME..

Check here for codes

http://www.nastyz28.com/decode.php
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Last photo:

I have a plan to save you a ton of money...........................SELL ME THAT CAR

Vince
Old 07-16-2008, 12:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Cool car, Dan. One thing tho....there won't be a "sleeper" motor, a Z just doesn't fit the sleeper mold...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

thanks guys, in CT its hard to find other kids that build muscle cars, i have my c10 street truck that smokes mustangs and it deffinitely sleeps

my boss who is an old time hot rodder with a 33 ford told me im a dieing breed today since i spent time to rebuild and put a standard in my 83 c10

302 z28, i wish it had a 302 in it still but i will have to live with what i have and i dont think i could ever sell it, theres alot of sentimental value in it for my mom

i cant wait to start it though
Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

It looks like a clean car to start with. Best of luck, and if you need anything just ask...

Jason
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Last photo:

[/QUOTE]302 z28, i wish it had a 302 in it still but i will have to live with what i have and i dont think i could ever sell it, theres alot of sentimental value in it for my mom.i cant wait to start it though[/QUOTE]

If you ever get into a situation where you must sell it, please contact me. I will buy it in a New York second.

Vince
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

You wish it had a 302? Well why not do that at the same or less bucks than the 383 you referred to. 327 or 350 block, bored .30 over and a 283 crank and heads of choice to match the cam/carb and you are ready to go have fun. More fun than a 383? Probably not, but who can sport a 302 powered 69 Z28?

Trees
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Welcome "The Dan" to Hotrodders.com, you have found a home where you can fuel those rodding juices that flow through your veins.

You are blessed with might possibly be the finest starter rod a young guy could have, compared to the kind of condition I am used to seeing here in the great white north, that vehicle is what we call "mint condition".

DAMN!

As far as what to do with the car I won't make any suggestions as I am sure whatever you end up building for it will be just fine, each mans car is an expression of his individuality and mood. After you finish this one your next might be completely different.

One thing is for sure a complete resto job would do the car justice and likely net you a higher resale value in the future, however building your car is almost never based on value on some imaginary market although its use as collateral or a down payment on your first future home is something to consider.

I vote for the 4" block with a 3" crank route as you can claim it as a resto 302 with a non-original block and be quite satisfied it will hold its value. Of course as is always the case in a young mans life power may hold sway and you would find it in a well built 383.

I would contend that a original build 302 with factory components would be quite satisfactory from a performance perspective and you would never have to answer to anyone on why you built it that way, this type of build would be reliable and likely show everyone your respect for such a beautiful example of a bygone era in performance automobiles.

Besides, a hotted up 383 built slowly in the garage waiting to be installed when you feel the need for more speed gives you options later and won't leave you without wheels when you miss that first shift at 6800 rpm on a Saturday night and leave a puddle on the track.

There is only a slight amount of experience speaking here as I would never miss a shift at that RPM and the darn tach was inaccurate and the shifter was sticky...and man did you see how that guy was almost all the way into my lane...thats what made me miss it.

Good luck with whatever you decide, keep coming back with updates and lots of pics to keep us salivating. Treat her nice and get a quality tach.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

thanks guys, im really excited about this one.

tonight as i was working at the local bar, i served the right person. he gave me a number to his father in law who has a 400 sb in his barn that he wants out for cheap., and im thinking i want in for that same cheap price, let alone the guy literally lives right down the road from me

i'll be down there hopefully tomorrow morning to check it out, pull the heads etc. to see what shape its in, and if its the motor of choice i will drop a down payment and pick it up when i get paid next week , if not, im going to go to the local junk yard and find a 350 roller block out of a newer chevy and start out with that, the latest engine that is in my c10 was a roller based block and the castings are so clean on it, and everything is identical unlike those old mexican 4blt blocks, and of coarse whatever engine it is, you cant beat a fresh .030 (not sure if u can do tha with a 400 yet, gotta do some research)

heres my other engine that is in my sleeping pickup 355vortec heads camed rocked, muncie m20, 9" to replace the dieing 10blt

Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

i forgot to mention, this guy also does lead work with body pannels, for those quarters i might have someone else play with them, i dont wanna mess those up, what do you think?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Show me the rear end ... and the dash ... PLEASE ... Then post the codes on the plate.

Every REAL 69 Z-28 I ever saw had the bumper guards on it.

Your plate should look a LOT like this ...
the plate will tell what the original color was from the factory and a host of other things. This Camaro was 52/52 for the color. This tag is mounted on the firewall.

This one is 79/79 color code

This photo shows WHERE the tag is ...

Here is a photo of the 69 Z-28 I owned ... it was fathom green ...
Regretfully, I sold it but I did put a down payment on a pretty nice house with the $$$.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
83 chevy c10 long bed

Last photo:

my brother and i finally made room in the garage, we removed the corvette and sent it to my fathers house where it should be, and started wiring the garage for lights, stereo and a tv for the loft.

also pulled all the cars out and washed them, as i said we had it out 8 years ago, but the vette (66-327-350hp) hasnt been touched since 86

for a bunch of kids, i think any hotrodder would have stopped by my house yesterday if they saw everything outside

as for info on the camaro:
the front driver fender is an OEM replacement that was put it in 78' passenger is a little rusty, nothing bad
motor has cammel hump 2.02 fuelie heads off of a vette, and an aluminum intake manifold off of a 60's vette as well, the rear is a posi 3.73, and a muncie m21 close ratio, all the interior is mint, i started cleaning it all yesterday

plan:
the 400 fell threw, so im building a 383, incorperationg the heads and the intake, and making everything else origional, as in the airfilter lid to say 302 etc.. i am looking for a set of origional z28 valve covers but i doubt ill find any.
its going to get all hotchkiss a arms and suspention poly bushings etc.. my friend is very good at paint and will paint it for cost of paint and fillter
i have to find a way to get the wheels off the corvette since they are the correct ones for the camaro, but i may have to buy my own because my father wants nothing to do with me right now (i touched the vette)

other than that should i put this build in a seperate section of this forum or leave it here?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.