1970 BOSS 302s and 429s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2005, 08:37 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

1970 BOSS 302s and 429s

How much do you think 100% original examples of these cars are worth today?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'd say quite a bit. I've been watching this one out of curiosity.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

A 70 Boss 302 went for over 100G's at the last Barrett Jackson, of course it was immaculate.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I guess I am getting old..... (yikes)

I'd say they are "worth" a heck of a lot less than they are actually trading hands for. The rich baby boomers (my group) are paying whatever it takes to get their dream ride.... It is killing the average rodder.

As the old saying goes, "It is hard to pay too much for something that you really like."

I saw a Boss 9 ENGINE asking $ 55,000 not long ago. .... ya, just the engine.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:45 AM

Last photo:

The reason I ask is because a lady at work has a BOSS 302 and her husband has a BOSS 429, both 1970s. I got to check them out at a car show a couple weeks ago and the cars were pretty cool.

It is a shame to see a car such as a BOSS like the one in thet ebay auction in that kind of condition. I cant believe it is basically just a shell and it's gonna go for over $8000.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:55 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

I think its a shame too. I really wish the cars were not valuable (my 67 Z28) included. Be nice to see the cars back in the hands of the enthusiast and not hidden away and never driven by collectors.

Those days are not gonna come back but its a nice thought. You are right though, its people that can afford them now driving up the prices for something they wanted on a whim back then and couldn't have.

I would love to see the day where this stuff was rolling down the road as daily drivers. Primered Chevelles, Mustangs with shackle kits and MT indy profiles, beat up hemi mopars, etc etc. An occasional glimpse of a pristine one at cruise nite is not the same !

Rich
Old 09-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmccabe
I would love to see the day where this stuff was rolling down the road as daily drivers. Primered Chevelles, Mustangs with shackle kits and MT indy profiles, beat up hemi mopars, etc etc. An occasional glimpse of a pristine one at cruise nite is not the same !

Rich
You're absolutely right, seein' these cars all dolled up sitting at some "cruise night" or car show isn't the same. It's like looking at the animals at the zoo, totally out of their environment. I was so lucky to have been around back then.............. My daily driver back in the 70's was a high 13 second '67 GTO with a grey primered driver's door. I *****ed about Sunoco 260 being $0.49 a Gal. I went to a couple "cruise" nights when they first started around here, there wasn't much "cruising" it was just a night time car show............ Sorry but to me that's not cruising. They should all meet then go for a cruise over a designated route for an hour or two and meet at another location or back at the same one. Then if they all want to park and sit around in lawn chair rockers like the old farts they have become ( I'll be 50 soon, I can call them that ) fine but do some cruising or quit calling it a Cruise. The drive there and home doesn't count either.

There is a guy about 12 miles from here that bought a new '67 Fairlane GT with a 427 Dual Quad and a brand new '70 Boss 429 Mustang and still has both. They sit in a climate controlled building and the only time they see the light of day OR night is when he pulls them out into the driveway to hose them off.............. They are perfectly preserved but it seems like such a waste.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Yeah that is a waste to just have a car sit. I dont care what it's worth. A car has wheels, that means it's supposed to be driven. Both of those BOSS Mustangs I mentioned earlier do get driven and thats pretty neat to see, the 302 is driven more than the 429 is but they both get out during the summer.

Also saw a Charger Daytona going the opposite direction on a fairly empty freeway last weekend. Im wondering if it was the real thing or not. Ive never seen a real one before.

Last edited by Blazin72; 09-10-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Also saw a Charger Daytona going the opposite direction on a fairly empty freeway last weekend. Im wondering if it was the real thing or not. Ive never seen a real one before.
Even if the car wasn't original most of the "Daytona" stuff had to be so it would still have been something special. My guess is that what you saw was the real deal though. They were a rare sight even when new but I have seen a couple in the past few years on the highway. I even saw a Torino Talladega last summer cruising down Interstate 80 outside Davenport, IA.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
You're absolutely right, seein' these cars all dolled up sitting at some "cruise night" or car show isn't the same. It's like looking at the animals at the zoo, totally out of their environment. I was so lucky to have been around back then.............. My daily driver back in the 70's was a high 13 second '67 GTO with a grey primered driver's door. I *****ed about Sunoco 260 being $0.49 a Gal. I went to a couple "cruise" nights when they first started around here, there wasn't much "cruising" it was just a night time car show............ Sorry but to me that's not cruising. They should all meet then go for a cruise over a designated route for an hour or two and meet at another location or back at the same one. Then if they all want to park and sit around in lawn chair rockers like the old farts they have become ( I'll be 50 soon, I can call them that ) fine but do some cruising or quit calling it a Cruise. The drive there and home doesn't count either.

There is a guy about 12 miles from here that bought a new '67 Fairlane GT with a 427 Dual Quad and a brand new '70 Boss 429 Mustang and still has both. They sit in a climate controlled building and the only time they see the light of day OR night is when he pulls them out into the driveway to hose them off.............. They are perfectly preserved but it seems like such a waste.
Hey, smile when you say "old fart"....

We're all kicking our own ***** for selling some of the cars we had back in "the old days".

Ford "factory" never built an assembly line 427 '67 Fairlane GT.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Even if the car wasn't original most of the "Daytona" stuff had to be so it would still have been something special. My guess is that what you saw was the real deal though. They were a rare sight even when new but I have seen a couple in the past few years on the highway.

I even saw a Torino Talladega last summer cruising down Interstate 80 outside Davenport, IA.
Just a note. FYI. Talladegas are Fairlanes not Torinos. The body code is 63B, the Fairlane 500 Bench Seat Sports Roof (fastback) car. The Torino is the 63 F.

OKAY OKAY........ they raced as Torinos..... but it was a marketing/advertising thing.....

Last edited by xntrik; 09-10-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik

Ford "factory" never built an assembly line 427 '67 Fairlane GT.
You're correct the 427 cars were Fairlane 500 XL's weren't they?! My bad.........
Old 09-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You're correct the 427 cars were Fairlane 500 XL's weren't they?! My bad.........
ooooooo ......My memory is telling me....427s in bench seats only = not XL..... There was an article in the ford club book a couple years ago.... (mmmmm?)

I must research that to satisfy my mind.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:26 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I must say. I would love to drive a '69 429 Boss Mustang. with that in mind, cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. and some people invest in cars, they are like houses, great for investment because as they get rarrer, the price goes up, and it goes up each year on old vehicles also. you may frown on the guy with his immaculate 429 Mustang that he takes around the block less than 1ce a week or so but, doing that, in a few years, his price will double, triple what it was worth, that guy is actully pretty smart. My uncle has a '74 Triumph TR6 that he compleated restoration on in 1995, since then under 2,500 miles have been put on the car, when the car was finished it was appraised at just over 5k, when it was appraised 1 year ago, it was at 16k and at that time had a bubbled hood from an engine fire, has not been re appraised. He just compleated a '69 Mustang coupe 351 4spd all original but it was built to be drivable, it was a rust bucket when he started, is now an immaculate car, shock towers, torque boxes, quarters, valance, floors were all replaced. I'm not the kind of guy to do this type of thing but as with everything, it is a 2 sided equasion, there is always 2 ways to look at it.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:00 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik

ooooooo ......My memory is telling me....427s in bench seats only = not XL..... There was an article in the ford club book a couple years ago.... (mmmmm?)

I must research that to satisfy my mind.
Here, allow me to help you....

-FAIRLANE Production Numbers-

Fairlane 500 63B ** 2dr Hardtop 70,135

Fairlane 500 XL 63C **2dr Hardtop (bucket seats) 14,781

** Includes 427 Fairlane
Old 09-10-2005, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Trailer Queens vs Daily Drivers

The sad fact is that there are those that if they have the money enough can buy it and if someone wants to sell it to them, thats whats called private interprise. (And I am a strong believer in private interprise).
For several years there were a lot of BOGUS BOSSes floating around as well as BOGUS GTO's 454 SS Chevelles etc.
Unless you are totally inept with mechanical skills, if you want one of these cars, the best way out is to build it yourself. Only the critical expert would know the difference anyway. I have also known of several of these BOGUS Muscle Cars to go for a good penny as well, as there will always be the next guy that wants a BOSS, or GTO, or SS, but doesnt have the bucks to purchase the real thing. The ball is in your court.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.