Hot Rod Forum banner

1970 Chevelle Interior

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  lumberjacknooj 
#1 ·
I just baught a 1970 chevelle and it has red interior. Should i keep the red interior red or change all to black? do you think i could do the door panels, healiner and carpet myself? and if i get the new kit, shoudl i buy buckets and a console too?

#2 ·
Black gets too hot for my taste - I'd keep the red ... unless it doesn't work with the body color.

If you don't mind sewing you can definitely do the door panels, etc. yourself. They sell stock kits you can just reinstall, but (personally) I never like they way they look compared to an original treatment.

If you want to get into it, go to Amazon.com and order "Automotive Upholstery Handbook" and (especially) "Custom Auto Interiors" both by Don Taylor. They'll explain everything.

Alan Horvath
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/" target="_blank">http://AlanHorvath.com/</a>
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

#3 ·
Keep the red

There are tons of 70 Chevelles with black interior and I have only seen one with red interior and I go to car shows ALOT here in southern california. Not only do I think the red interior is much more flashy, its much rarer. I would DEFINIITLEY keep the red interior....please don't change it, it would honestly break my heart :)

#4 ·
First off what color is the ext. ?? I think red would look pretty darn good with some paints and really bad with other like my paint I would shake my head at if it had red int. lol. One thing to note though is that if it is red it will be diffrent and if it looks good thats a double +. If it is in good shape then don't bother spending the money I mean till you buy carpet, seat redos, door panels, rear panel, and anything else in there your looking at some big $$$
If it matches and looks good keep it if not get out the wallet.

Chris

#8 ·
Honestly- black is probably the easiest color to do an interior with. You can find more used interior parts in black, than any other color. If your red interior is in good shape, then keep it and have something different (and save the money from having to do a complete change over).
The most important thing is whether or not YOU like the red. You're the one riding in it. Even if you have to get a carpet set, or seat covers- You already have the red, and it probably wouldn't take much to bring it up (not as much as it would if you were to change it).
I just got a 70 Chevelle, originally a green interior. I'll probably change to black, just because the only interior in the car now is the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.