1970 Ford Ranchero - $1000, Good Buy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1970 Ford Ranchero - $1000, Good Buy?

There's a 1970 Ford Ranchero approximately an hour from where I live. The owner wants $1000 CND for it, tow included (a tow around here costs about $100 CND). It needs a fair amount of work, but I think at a price that low it's pretty hard to go wrong.

The Ranchero has the 351 "H" 2V engine (250 BHP, 355 lbs/ft), and a four speed automatic transmission.

As far as I could tell by climbing under it the chassis is in good shape; there wasn't any heavy rusting, and there wasn't any distortion of the frame. The body panels were all sanded, but have accumulated some new rust spots so will need to be sanded again before being painted. All the windows are in good shape, aside from the passenger side window, but I think the entire door might need replacing. The suspension and exhaust both need to be entirely re-done, but the owner was able to get the engine running. There are some minor rust spots under the hood, on the under-side of the truck, and in the box, none of them looked major though. The interior needs some work; probably new seats, new flooring, and some sanding and paint for the lower dash (it's metal and has some light rusting). It also needs new tires. There are some picture links below so you can have a looks at the Ranchero.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/64a786e6.jpg

- a picture showing the top of the carburetor, the engine type is clearly visible

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/c572facf.jpg

- the worst rust spot I was able to find was under the battery

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/95fb6acc.jpg

- you can see slight rusting around the inside of the engine bay here

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/3fda3e1b.jpg

- the Ranchero has new lights, the trim on the passenger side is cracked and will eventually be replaced

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/3fae3418.jpg

- body and glass is in good shape, everything has been sanded, some slight rusting has started again

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/16dc9486.jpg

- the truck sits very low due to the shot suspension

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...G/c6da3f58.jpg

- the passenger side door is seperated and has no window, might need replacing

Do you guys think this is a good buy at $1000 CND? Approximately how much work/money do you think it would take to get it drive-able?

Thanks,
Niko

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Fairly rare car! Not mainy seen even when new. Won't be a 4 speed automatic if original.
If you want something unique it's worth the price.
Probably sink another 5 grand into it to get it on the road. Another 5-10 grand to finish it.
All depends on your skills.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You can't get much for a grand anymore, that looks to be a great buy. The first thing I ask a guy, "Do you like the car?" Like it or better yet, love the car, or you might soon lose interest. This would be an awesome ride with a nice paint job, cool wheels, a hot little motor to push it around. Not many left, I would buy the car in a heartbeat. Check very well for hidden rust.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:19 AM

Last photo:

Probably one of the best years for looks on the Rancheros before the "monster" ugly bumpers came out shortly after,I don't think you could go too wrong.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'd buy it...for sure...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

1000 bucks? Hmmmm.....where is this car at, I'd better look at it for you LOL.....
For a grand its pretty decent man. From what I saw not much rust through if any. It RUNS? Geez I would have to say its worth at least 1000. You cant buy anything for a grand these days.
I would buy it at the drop of a hat, but thats just me.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 PM

@ RWENUTS - Yes, it's definitely a rare car, it definitely adds to the classical value. I know it's an automatic, probably a 3-speed then? Either way, I'd like to convert it to a 6-speed manual, so it doesn't matter too much what tranny is currently in it. Unless I can sell it an make a couple bucks

@ dinger - I LOVE the car, it's got gorgeous lines, and it makes me feel nostalgic with the dual headlamps and other older styling queu's. I've already got an idea for the paint job and wheels I'd like to put on it. As for the motor, I have so many ideas I'm not sure which way to go with it, haha. Where are some problem areas for rust? I already did a quick look-over, but are there any spots I should revisit and look at more closely?

@ JeffB - No doubt it is the best year for the Ranchero, this is the last year they kept the dual headlamp design if I am correct, they also turned it into quiet a whale in the latter years as well.

@ LATECH - Well, it sorta runs, haha. I had to pour a ton of gas in through the top of the carburetor to prime it since it sat for so long. And the transmission needs work, it's an automatic and is currently stuck in drive, so when ever it turned over it would pull for a second and then stall, no telling how far it could pull itself under it's own power unless I get the transmission into working order.

I'll be seeing the owner again on Tuesday, will probably climb under it one more time before I hand over the money. Is there anything I should be looking for besides rust?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

had a neihbor

had a1971 Ranchero it had a Boss 302 it was real quick and good looking Car

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.