Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1970 GTO Nose/Front End
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo5 View Post
Hi BarryK,
Sorry to be such a newbie, but thanks! Starting the project-what should I tackle first? Should I sand the whole car (grit#?) , should I do the rust repair first? Where would you start? I guess I am struggling with the order of operations, thanks for the help!!!!
You may be asking the wrong guy here and best advice may come from Brian as he is a real body man.

Unfortunately I have a real job, so have nights and weekends only to work on my cars and my way is what is most efficient for my schedule and I can normally do 2 frame offs a year but in all fairness, only cars I do are C1,2 and 3”s Corvettes or GTO’s, so I know them inside and out.

I have not done a rust repair in 20 or so years but my plan may work for you.
The last GTO, went out one night and cut off left quarter, fitted the new panel so it was ready to weld next night. The next night finished my welds and then the next night moved on to the next panel requiring the most work.
So to answer your question, fix the one quarter rust area and when done do the next, I think the most wasted times, UNLESS you are a body shop is working two-three bad panels at a time as you spend more time running back and forth and chasing tool from one side of car to another.

Corvettes, I do different, first nigh I get car disassembled, so next nigh I can remove body and depending on model I know that will take 3-4 hours.

Hope this helps and not saying my way is best way but my way.