1970 Mustang Suspension Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2005, 02:41 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

1970 Mustang Suspension Question

I Just bought a 1970 Mustang Coup at a auction yesterday and need to know if I can use the suspension off a 1977 Ford Granada to get it rolling. The people who owned it before me pulled the rearend and leaf springs out from under it. They also pulled the the front coil springs and lower control arms off of it. I am going to use the disc brakes spindles and 9" rearend off the Granada on my 66 Comet but not use anything else off of it. Does anybody know if I can use the Granada lower control arms, coil springs and leaf springs on this 1970 Mustang???? I would like to just get it rolling until I get my 73 Mustang Done.

BTW I have the original rearend for the Mustang, its a 9" with 31 spline axles. The Granada's rearend is open 9" so at least there is some similarity in rear ends between the two cars.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 06:35 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:

Quote:
Does anybody know if I can use the Granada lower control arms, coil springs and leaf springs on this 1970 Mustang???? I would like to just get it rolling until I get my 73 Mustang Done.
The MUSTANG suspension is the same as the FAIRLANE suspension of that era. The GRANADA/MAVERICK suspension is lighter. But both systems are of the same basic design. The leaf springs should work if the eye to eye distance is approx. the same. Now that being said, it may be possible to use the pieces to make a roller only, not a driver.

I for one would be very interested in the outcome. Please post your findings in this thread if possible.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I think the Granad spindles are used regularly when upgrading to Disc brakes on a mustang that has drums. I think the Maverick has a smaller (weaker) spindle than the Granada. I'm not sure about the rear leafs, although the rear axle will bolt right in. It is narrower by about 3/4" per side so it allows some bigger meats. If you could find one reasonably, a Lincoln Versailles of the late 70s/early 80s uses a 9 " with disc brakes. Most of the Granada/Monarchs use either an intregal carrier rear end or an 8".
Old 12-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I Just bought a 1970 Mustang Coup at a auction yesterday and need to know if I can use the suspension off a 1977 Ford Granada to get it rolling. The people who owned it before me pulled the rearend and leaf springs out from under it. They also pulled the the front coil springs and lower control arms off of it. I am going to use the disc brakes spindles and 9" rearend off the Granada on my 66 Comet but not use anything else off of it. Does anybody know if I can use the Granada lower control arms, coil springs and leaf springs on this 1970 Mustang???? I would like to just get it rolling until I get my 73 Mustang Done.

BTW I have the original rearend for the Mustang, its a 9" with 31 spline axles. The Granada's rearend is open 9" so at least there is some similarity in rear ends between the two cars.
Certainly the parts could make a "roller". Checking with a salvage yard in their Hollander Interchange book could tell you if the lower arms are the same.

Granada or Maverick disc brakes/spindle assm from 75 up are the best, and identical. Don't mix years as there is a caliper difference.

Obviously your Granada 9 inch has disc brakes. Use the G prop valve and MC on the Comet. Did that 9" Granada have hydro-boost brakes like the Versailles? They are excellent. All G cars rears are 57 1/2 wide just like 60s Fairlanes and Comets.

I am not sure of the overall length of the leaf springs, but I am thinking that they are the same since the G is just a short wheel base 66 Fairlane (108 just like a Mustang). Also, radiators and everything else swaps. The G should have the HD anti-roll bar, it is a bolt on to the Mustang.

FYI the last year 80 of the fancy Monarch that looked like a Versailles without the fake roof.... some have an 8.8 inch x 57 1/2 wide x 2.47 gear on leaf springs with HD drum brakes.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

I originally bought the Granada for the rearend and the disc brakes for my 66 Comet. I bought it back in July for around $350, drove it home and it has sat ever since. Working and going to college full time doesn't leave me with much time for myself, plus the honey do's leaves me with even less. I get out of class in two weeks for X-mas break, so hopefully I will find out if this is going to work. I know the Granada rearend is a 9" but I don't know if it is 28 or 31 spline. I guess it doesn't matter too much since I have the original rearend for the 70 Mustang. I will probably end up putting the 302 and C4 out of the Granada in this Mustang since I don't have anywhere else to put it. I would love to find a 351C 4 barrel motor and put it back to original, but this isn't probably going to happen. I just need to get this thing a roller so I can get it off of my dads flat bed trailer and park it. The future plans call for a new polyurethane front end kit with new coils and leaf springs. Hopefully this will work and I can get it a roller. I really don't want to spend $$$ on it right now, since its the Christmas season and I have 7 nieces and nephews, 2 sisters, my parents, my girlfriend and her two teenage kids to buy presents for. If this works I will drag this thread back up and let everybody know, thanks for the help on this.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Here is part of my update on the 70 Rustang or is that Junkstang. I pulled the motor on the Granada the other day, found out that the 9" rearend under it is actually a 8". I then loaded the Granada on my flatbed and took it to my parents pastuer out in the country. I then proceeded to pull the rearend out from under the Granada and reinstall parts on the 70 Mustang. This is what I have found out so far. The leaf springs fit perfectly, I didn't have to persuade them to get them to fit. The upper bushing that mounts in the shackle to the frame for the leaf springs is too small for the Mustang. The Granada had staggered shock mounts that isolate the springs in between two big rubber pads. I used the Granada spring and shock mounts because the U-bolts were to long for the Mustangs original shock mounts. So basically the Granada springs fit fine, the shackles on the Granada fit but had a difference in size of the rubber bushing. The shock mounts off the Granada also fit without a problem. The only thing now is that the back of the Mustang is riding high, I figure that since the Granada is a four dour it has more spring rate. Tomorrow I will find out if the Granada front suspension will fit and work on a 70 Mustang, this is if I am able to do it all in one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Mustang #2.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	8567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Mustang #3.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	8568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Granada spring shackles.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	8569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Its alive.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	8570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang rearend.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	8571  

Old 12-22-2005, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

Here are some more pictures....I also have some measurements of the rearends. The 77 Granada's 8" rearend has a 49 3/4" from backing plate to backing plate and a 43 1/2" between spring perches. The 70 Mustang's 9" rearend is 51 3/4" from backing plate to backing plate and 43 1/2" between spring perches. I just hope I measured everything correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang rearend #1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	8577   Click image for larger version

Name:	rearends.JPG
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	8579   Click image for larger version

Name:	spring on Mustang.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	8580   Click image for larger version

Name:	stinkbug look.JPG
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	8581  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my rear.JPG (59.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
Here are some more pictures....I also have some measurements of the rearends. The 77 Granada's 8" rearend has a 49 3/4" from backing plate to backing plate and a 43 1/2" between spring perches. The 70 Mustang's 9" rearend is 51 3/4" from backing plate to backing plate and 43 1/2" between spring perches. I just hope I measured everything correctly.
The important measurements are from wheel flange to wheel flange..... the G is 57 1/2 and the 70 Mustang is 59 1/2.. Versailles/Granada disc brake 9" rears are rumored at 58 1/2, but everyone that I have had measures 57 1/2. That gives you an extra one inch on each side for tire wheel clearance... Nearly every Ford unibody has the same spring spacing, except 62-65 Fairlanes an MII.

The easiest way to identify an 8" from a 9". If you can get a socket/ratchet on the lower pumpkin bolts it is an 8. If you must use an end wrench it is a 9.

www.readershotrods.com drag cars/ georges drag strip
Old 12-27-2005, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

I finished up the 70 Mustang today and made it a roller. The front suspension took me a couple of days to get it to work out. The Granada lower control arms fit ok but were a little close to the drum brakes backing plate. One of the strut rods was bent on the 70 Mustang so I used one off the 77 Granada, they are exactly identical. I then pulled off the wimpy 1970 Mustang sway bar and bolted on the beafy 77 Granada sway bar, this too was a perfect fit. The problems I ran into, was the Granada coil springs were just too tall to fit in the 70 Mustang. I fixed this problem by cutting off one coil on the Granada's springs, this made them fit. I also had to use the power steering control valve off the Granada to make the Mustang steerable. The 77 Granada's control valve fit perfectly, but the hoses going to the power ram and pump were different. The 70 Mustang uses flare fittings while the 77 Granada uses a O-Ring type of fitting for the hoses. I probably could have used the power ram off the Granada but I just needed it to steer. I then hooked up the control valve to the pitman arm and center link on the Mustang which was all I needed to do to make it steerable. I found out that alot of a Granada's suspension will work on a Mustang with a high coil spring suspension. I would also bet that it would work on almost any Ford with the same type of suspension.

xntrik, the rearend out of the 77 Granada is a 8", it is not a 9". Amazingly the 77 Granada rearend still had the tag on it, it said 8" with 3.00 gear ratio.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the info. keep me updated.

Wheel flange to wheel flange measurements are the most important..

All 9" in Granada, Monarch, and Versailles will have disk brakes only.

FYI.... 1980 Granada and Monarch with bucket seats and Versailles trim have drum brake 8.8 rears with 247 gears on leaf springs. Had one and I know where another is sitting right now.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.