Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1970 nova changing 8.2 to 8.5 soon
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM

Last journal entry: Unpacking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1970 nova changing 8.2 to 8.5 soon

hey everyone its been a while since ive posted on this site but ive always recived the best help off here so ill always turn to you guys.

im working on building my first rear end for my 70 nova, im going to be swapping in a 73 8.5(which i already own). im looking for information on what kits i should use also what posi unit that would best suit my needs.
the car has a 88 305 in it,and a M20 tranny, the hottest engine this car will ever have is probably a 383 or somewhere along those lines so im not looking to build a big budget bulletproof rear here. just a nice one that i can have fun with smoking tires once and a while. the car will almost never be on the track, (maybe once for Ghits and Shiggles) nor will it be traveling long distances on highways, an hour or so at most. its probably just gonna be a Friday night stoplight to stoplight show off. im just trying to get ideas of what kits to buy and also what posi, i'd like to run 4.11 gears or so with maybe a 28" tall tire if it will fit. ive done some research on installation and whatnot but im really looking for advice here on how to build a rear to suit my needs. also i will need axles too
should i buy a kit like this? will it have everything i need?

Summit Diff install kit

how about these axles? i dont think ill ever be running hard-hooking slicks or launching at high RPMS

superior axle kit

im not set on any of these sites/company/brands, their just ideas to try and help everyone understand what im ramblin about.
also to anyone else looking to do the same i found these sites extremely helpful

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...tructions.html

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...axle-gear.html

sorry for the novel, i just wanted to give anyone as much info as i can.any help will be appreciated, thanks all.