1970 Olds 455 not sparking - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Am Tony
Thanks for all the replies. I tried the jumper wire, still no spark. I have 11.34v with the ignition on, and 8.9v while cranking. I called the parts store and told them about the problems I've been having, and they said the points may be bad. So, I think it all might be a bad reman distributor........

"Hencho in Mexico"..............
TRy one more thing with the jumper wire. Unhook the wire that's on the positive on the coil and use the jumper wire only. If it runs you'll need to pull the jumper wire off to shut it off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system4.htm

The condenser stops the points from burning out. Check out the link , hope it helps. I had a Fiat years ago that would not start. I changed every part of the distributor and finally figured out that someone had filed too much off the points and the resistance they are supposed to have had been lost. New points and away it went. Not sure whether yours are new or what.
Cheers
Al.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Points operation in Volvo 4 cylinder dist.

Just snapped a shot of a Volvo distributor to show the spade connection on the side . The spade connection "MUST" be insulated from the body of the distributor and connects inside to a black wire which is connected to the moving arm of the points .
The moving arm of the points are insulated at the pivot with a nylon bush. When the points close the coil builds up a charge and then when the points open the field coils collapse in the coil and fire a 30k volt spark out of the coil top to the dist. cap centre . Points are basically a ground switch
The fixed arm of the points are earthed to the base of the distributor.
If you connect a positive wire to the side of the distributor you will fry stuff from that point back through the wiring.
Cheers.
Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo025.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	66333  

Last edited by 67Mustang Al.; 06-26-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Am Tony
Thanks for all the replies. I tried the jumper wire, still no spark. I have 11.34v with the ignition on, and 8.9v while cranking. I called the parts store and told them about the problems I've been having, and they said the points may be bad. So, I think it all might be a bad reman distributor........

"Hencho in Mexico"..............
Hopefully you left the vacuum advance in place on the new dist.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Last photo:

If you connect a positive wire to the side of the distributor you will fry stuff from that point back through the wiring.
Cheers.
Al.[/QUOTE]

It's a negative ground system Al. Wire from points goes to negative side of coil. I suggested + battery to + coil. Just like hotwiring it. Unhooking existing hot wire to coil eliminates his wiring from the ignition switch that might be fried or non existant.
JMHO
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS
Cheers.
Al.
It's a negative ground system Al. Wire from points goes to negative side of coil. I suggested + battery to + coil. Just like hotwiring it. Unhooking existing hot wire to coil eliminates his wiring from the ignition switch that might be fried or non existant.
JMHO[/QUOTE]
Yeah youre right , it is a negative ground system as i pointed out in the post.
........... i was saying..........If.......... you connect a positive wire to the side of the distributor you will fry stuff.
That wire from the neg. side of the coil has to be insulated right through to the moving arm of the points, even though its from the neg side of the coil. i.e. it cannot ground until the points close.
Cheers.
Al.

Last edited by 67Mustang Al.; 06-26-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:24 PM

Sorry I haven't gotten back lately, been hurting so I haven't been working on the car much. I put in the replacement distributor on Thursday, again with no spark. So, I went back to the parts store and bought an adjustible spark tester tool. Hooked up the coil wire to it, grounded the tool as instructed and still no spark. I took off both positive wires from the coil (power and electric choke), ran a jumper wire directly from the battery to the positive side, still no spark.......

Then, a thought crossed my mind.....If I fried my electric choke, would that, in turn, cause damage to my new coil if they were hooked together? I just can't figure out how I get no spark directly from the coil. I have checked and re-checked all the wires, all the voltage readings are good. What in the world am I missing.........?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Well, after re-checking everything AGAIN (lol) and replacing the ballast resistor with no positive results, I decided to let a garage look at it. So far, the guy said the points were mis-aligned and covered in grease. I'm probably the one that greased up the points, as yesterday I did the screwdriver test on the points (they did spark and have 12.47 volts). As I remember, the tips of the points on that distributor (and the previous remanned distributor) looked odd and not lined up properly. I guess thats what I get for trying to save a few bucks. I got both dizzy's from AutoPart International, and they got them from a Mexican company. I guess QC is NOT a strongpoint south of the border.........

As I find out more, I'll let you guys know............
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Hopefully you left the vacuum advance in place on the new dist.
LOL, yeah. I won't be modding this distributor. However, I'm saving my money to buy a good HEI dist and MSD 6AL box next year. I think the 455 will make more power with the HEI and the bigger plug gap (.045 vs the .035 I'm running for the points now) will make for more complete fuel burn and better mileage too.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.