1970 Ranchero: SB 351 or BB 460? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Propane can handle high compression or a lot of boost. New turbo technology allows very high horse power streetable engines.Just south of you in Ashcroft there is /was a 10.90s 454 chevelle on the street. twin turbo,dual mixer set up,good manners.I heard the fella was stepping up the power and swapping into an Opal for a 9 second car. you could have your 600 hp big block with turbo and propane.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 PM

A turbo would add a fair amount of cost to the system, right? Do you think I'd be able to reach 600 HP with enough boost on the 351 with propane? If I'm going to have to add a turbo to the budget it would be nice to save some green on the block if possible. IIRC the maximum displacement on the Cleveland is 421 cid.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

2 horse power per cubic inch for a turbo engine is very easy to get. ANY engine making that kind of power needs premium quality parts if you want it to last..contact the user here,,,spinn,, or something like that.He is a master of making dirt cheap blower engines with moderate power.I always go over budget when I build because I try to use good parts and spend a lot on quality machine work.

spinn buys used items and does his own porting and I believe some fabricating,,, The lower the costs the more time you will need to source the deals on good generic or used parts
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM

So, I shouldn't even have to bore it out at all, you're saying I could probably get 700 HP just with the boost and adding stronger parts, aluminum heads, etc. I probably wouldn't want to bore it anyways if I'm taking the compression rating up. Most propane run at about 17:1, don't they?

Someone told me you can't run a propane set-up with EFI, is that true do you know?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM

first,a 700 horse power engine is not just bolt on a turbo and a few parts.
second,700 hp will tear up a stock car and drive train.

Old bogie will be here shortly with 6 or 7 paragraphs to get you started,,,your 12k will be used up and then some ,by the engine,,,it can be done,just not cheap.If you were closer to Vancouver I would take you for a blast in my car,,,if you come down here let me know.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Oh, I know, I wasn't planning on just dumping it in there and seeing what happened, lol. You need strong quality parts, quality machining, and a good tune. Not to mention a good intercooler, upgraded fuel, oil, intake, and exhaust systems.

I already plan on replacing all the suspension equipment, the transmission, differential, and brakes.

Would it be better to do it with the original 351, or get a 460 for the engine? Since they'll both be able to reach my goal.

Also, my goal is only around 650 HP, not sure if that makes a huge difference, heh.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:09 PM

why not start with the rest of the car first?suspension/tires/brakes, first.decide what transmission is best suited for you. Plan ahead for a big exhaust system. decide what fuel you are using,if propane,where its going.what the cars purpose is going to be? add the power later.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM

I clearly got a little carried away. The two biggest projects ahead of me right now are the transmission and brakes. I want to take it from a 3-speed automatic to a 6-speed manual. Then it has all drum brakes, I'd at least like to convert the front brakes to disks, but if I'm going to have that much power I should convert the rear too.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:34 PM

before you convert the brakes to disc,think about your wheels and make sure they fit over the calipers.Make sure you absolutely love that exact car you own.To convert the brakes,first? do you want to upgrade to better after market with bigger discs or use factory stock ?and dont be surprised if it costs you $4500.oo to convert to a 6 speed. 3k or more for after market brakes,3k for wheels and tires.
and,,,its not the brakes that stop your car,its the tires.
if you pm me I can phone you,its not long distance.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

You know, all this speculation about what motor or tranny is a waste of time. Considering where you live have you checked out whether the car can be licensed and insured in either province. Both Alberta and BC have strict regulations for licensing an out of province vehicle. If you don't have in your pocession the previous regy then both provinces treat the new regy as being an out of province one. THen you need to jump thru a bunch more hoops. Lots of stuff to get done way before you put a different motor or tranny in it. You need brakes and braking system 100%. Windshield perfect. Side windows working. Tires at least 90%. Shocks, steering, exhaust etc etc. The list goes on and on. Almost like regy for a new car.
I went thru the whole process on a 64 Fury when I lived in Rocky Mountain House. Had to go thru the whole car to make it 100% roadworthy before I could do any mods to it. The 64 hadn't been registered for 10 years so was treated as an out of province inspection.
Check it out first before you start dreamin' about big motors, trannies etc.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
hold my beer and watch this!

Last photo:

I vote for 460!! The bigger the better LOL
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM

My corvette is from florida.I had to do a commercial inspection.It was not really a big deal,you want the car safe anyways and the inspector wants to make a little money so he will find something not perfect. I just paid his shop to do the repairs and he was happy.inspection was $100.oo,repairs $65,oo,taxes in less than $200.00. Paid for the to take and submit the pictures etc. Get your car ready if it needs to be inspected.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.