Hot Rod Forum banner

1970 Ranchero: SB 351 or BB 460?

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 · (Edited)
So I bought the 1970 Ford Ranchero, now I'm trying to decide what engine to put in it. The original engine is in pretty rough shape, so chances are I will start with a brand new block. I've got it down to either the BOSS 351, or the 460.

I'm planning on running aluminum cylinder heads, and want the engine to run on 91 octane gas. I will likely be running EFI as opposed to a carburetor, and am not too worried about fuel efficiency (as long as I can keep it above 10 MPG on the highway I'll be happy, it definitely won't be a daily driver). As for horse power I'm hoping to get somewhere in the 600-700 range, and would like to be able to get the engine to scream a little (~6, 500 RPM). The added weight of a BB engine shouldn't be too much of a problem as I'll be adding aftermarket suspension, and brakes. So what do you guys think? 460?

#27 ·
My corvette is from florida.I had to do a commercial inspection.It was not really a big deal,you want the car safe anyways and the inspector wants to make a little money so he will find something not perfect. I just paid his shop to do the repairs and he was happy.inspection was $100.oo,repairs $65,oo,taxes in less than $200.00. Paid for the to take and submit the pictures etc. Get your car ready if it needs to be inspected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.