1970 SBC Engine Temperature - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 04:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1970 SBC Engine Temperature

I tried to search this topic and had no luck with my scenario....

I have a 1970 SB350 that is carbureted. Does anyone know what engine temperature I should be running at? I heave heard 180-200 degrees is normal, some other people have said 200-220 is normal. What would be considered "over heating"? I just installed a new aluminim radiator w/180 deg thermostat and it is running at 185-190 all day long. I just want to know for the upcoming summer months what would be an "over heating" temperature for this block?

Thanks....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Typical would be a 195 thermostat. If your running a thermostat with a setpoint of 195 or for that matter 180, and it's running higher than the setpoint technically it's overheating. Meaning the cooling system is not maintaining setpoint, or the thremostat is off. If temps get into the 230 range your heading for trouble. 250 your boiling over.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick WI
Typical would be a 195 thermostat. If your running a thermostat with a setpoint of 195 or for that matter 180, and it's running higher than the setpoint technically it's overheating. Meaning the cooling system is not maintaining setpoint, or the thremostat is off. If temps get into the 230 range your heading for trouble. 250 your boiling over.
So if I am staying below 200 degrees this summer, I am well within a safe operating temperature.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

If you stay below 230 you should be in a safe range. In a 50/50 mix with a 16 lb radiator cap, 230 is the approximate boiling point.

Anywhere from 190 to 220 is a really healthy range for an engine. Many drivers get nervous and try to keep it cooler, but the engine is perfectly happy as long as its not boiling
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 PM

I would much prefer to see 200 or below. You have to remember that your oil temp is affected by your water temp. Oil temps will track about 40 degrees higher in a typical street application versus the water temps. You also have to remember what I was saying regarding the thermostat. It's job is to regulate the temp. If the temp does not track the thermostat setpoint the cooling system is not doing it's job as it should. There certainly can be some amount of drift but by no means should you see much if anything greater than 10 degree variation.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick WI
I would much prefer to see 200 or below. You have to remember that your oil temp is affected by your water temp. Oil temps will track about 40 degrees higher in a typical street application versus the water temps. You also have to remember what I was saying regarding the thermostat. It's job is to regulate the temp. If the temp does not track the thermostat setpoint the cooling system is not doing it's job as it should. There certainly can be some amount of drift but by no means should you see much if anything greater than 10 degree variation.
Thanks for the input .... I will keep an eye on the temp this summer, typically if it ever were to get over 210 I would probably start getting concerned. I drove it the other day and it never broke 185 degrees around town. With the size of this radiator I am not expecting to many cooling issues this summer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires for sale 010.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	11224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires for sale 007.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	11225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires for sale 011.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	11226  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.