Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1971 nova trunk lid 'hinges' hard time to find parts
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincentnova View Post
on one side the trunk is just a little highter , its a little too much on the right ,
and between the back window and trunk there a big gap ,the trunk dont fit properly
i bring the car at the garage , they did the machin frame stuff
and they told me i need to get some hinges , to get the final work done
Vincent, first off, I can't make this clear enough, I know you are just talking with some guys on a forum and not even face to face. You don't know who we are and you went to a shop, spoke face to face with guys who had a lot of wonderful equipment and they SHOULD know what they are talking about.

The cold hard fact is, it is a very real possibility they don't have a clue as to what is wrong. I work with guys every day, pros, guys with decades of experience who don't have a clue about stuff like this. They change parts and that is all they can do.

Yes the hinge may be bent, but it is often very easy to repair. If your lid is over to one side, that is childs play, just align it properly. If it needs a little help to push it over like the holes aren't big enough or something, fine it may need that. But unless the lid is over an inch I seriously doubt it is more than simply loosing up the CORRECT bolts and moving it over. Removing the striker so you can open and close the lid freely.

If it's up at the front of it by the rear window, AND back towards the rear of the car, both these conditions are corrected with ONE bend of the hinge or trunk lid. The concept was discussed in the thread you will see after clicking on this link. How to lower the rear of your hood or front of your trunk: Alignment

Post some photos and lets get on with fixing your trunk lid so it fits.

If you can't post some photos we can still walk you thru it. But lets see if we can SEE it first.

Brian