Hot Rod Forum banner

1971 Plymouth Roadrunner Seats

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  swvalcon 
#1 · (Edited)
These seats are from a 1971 Roadrunner. The customer wanted them re-styled. This is what I started with. All I really had to go on was a couple of pictures of a pair of bucket seats and a rear bench from a different car. I couldn't copy that style to the split back bench seat, so I had to free lance a little bit. I think they still turned out pretty good.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
And this is the finished product. The headrests were extremely difficult because they were heat sealed and molded to the headrest foam. They were also split open. I had to cover them with 1/4" sew foam and then make a pattern. I was hoping to be able to staple the covers to the headrests, but had to glue them on instead. Two headrests that took an entire day to finish. There was also a lot of spring repair that needed to be done. One broken spring on each of the front and rear seat bottoms, three springs that had worked loose over time, replacing the burlap over the seat springs with something more mouse resistant and more supportive of the seat foam, and tying the springs together with tie wires to make them act as a unit. I also had to dye the brown plastic pieces black, like the end covers of the front seat backs and the support tubes for the headrests.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.