Hot Rod Forum banner

1972 Chevelle tail panel - doesn't exist??

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  bsa_bob2 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm in the process of replacing every body panel on my '72 Chevelle, and I've been trying to piece the rear end together fro literally months now. I think I have everything now except the rear tail panel that the trunk latch and bumper mount brackets attach to. Problem is, I can't find this panel anywhere. Even the techs at YearOne can't find me a part number...

I have the lower panel that goes under the bumper, and the upper panel that the weather strip goes on, but does anyone have a part number for the panel that goes between the two? The trunk latch and brackets the bumper bolts to is what I'm looking for.

Anyone have a picture of the rear end with the bumper removed? Pics inside the trunk looking at the rear? I'm at a total loss at this point, and the whole project is on hold until I can get that panel.

See less See more
#7 ·
Have not tried either of those. At this point I don't even know what the panel looks like to try and find it used. I'm really hoping someone will have gone through this and has a part number. I can't be the first guy to build the entire rear end and trunk from scratch...

#10 ·
also DYNcore has it as they build COMPLETE new 70-72 bodies..
the panel isn't all that hard to find.... used..
I had 3 here and a new one from goodmark.. but sadly sold all my chevelles to keep house when my health went to he_l..
goodmark might be out as DYNcore might want to fullfill the body orders first..
the tail panel goes behind the bumper and ties the 1/4 together the part it mates to is the trunk floor.. it's spot welded to the fllor behind the bumper..
you'll need to get a complete trunk floor to get the lower half..
good luck
I'd call a dyncore dealer as they make the complete bodies and HAVE to stamp whatever part you are looking for..

#12 ·
You just learned the FIRST rule in the body biz...NEVER ,EVER take a car apart until you have ALL the parts sitting there on the floor...

second rule: Never throw anything away (even a cut up piece of old metal) until that car is done. there might just be a small piece your going to need on that old section...

Three:ALL hardware stays with (inside)the car at all times.not in a box on a shelf.
I hope you havent started welding yet....
dyncore or carparts .com is your best bet....

#13 ·
I remember back 30 years ago a guy around the corner from where I lived at the time came knocking on my door because he saw my 68 Camaro RS in the driveway asking me where to get parts. I went to his house to see a pretty nice 68 RS with no front sheetmetal. Seems it was hit in the front and he pulled the whole front clip off and tossed it! All the RS light doors, bumper brackets inner fenders, EVERYTHING!

Yep, you NEVER, EVER, EVER throw out ANYTHING until it's done. I don't care if its a chunk of rusted floor and you have the replacement right there ready to go, I don't care if it's total crap without one single bracket just a rusted chunk of the middle of the floor, you never know where you may need some measurement, some guide as to where it went, or you are missing that there IS a bracket or something on it it. NEVER EVER throw out ANYTHING until it's done.

Brian

#15 ·
It looks like from what you have here is that the rear panel comes with the floor? That may be the way you go, a little more money but that looks like how it comes. Now, that doesn't mean you have to replace the whole floor, if yours is solid you can splice it and toss away all the floor that you don't use off your new part. Don't feel it's wasteful and all that, if you don't need it, you don't need it. No sense making a bunch of extra work.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.