1972 chevy k20 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1972 chevy k20

ok heres my situation. i have the oringinal wiring harness in my 72 chevy truck. but its shot. and i cant afford a new one. and i need taillights and fuel gauge. can someone please tell me or show me how to hook all this up. thank you.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 09:27 PM

On my '75 the tail-light wiring runs from the fuse-box area in the engine compartment, down the driver's side frame rail to the tail-lights. The wiring colors are standard for GM (white, brown, green and yellow), and you can use replacement wiring that is used for trailers. Most auto parts stores carry the color-coded wiring.

The gas tank is grounded - so first make sure the ground wire is still there.
There must also be a sending unit wire power that runs from the sending unit to the dash gauge, and then through the ignition switch to 12 volts. On my truck the sending unit wire is tan, but I don't know about your '72.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM

72 electrical problems

so which wire going to my fuel gauge is 12 volts. and what do i need to do to hook my fuel gauge back up. i dont wanna run any of my other gauges. just my one fuel gauge. thank you. because theres a short somewhere...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM

Is there power to the instrument panel, or is something grounded or shorted so you can't use the stock panel? If you can't get the panel to work, it might be easier to add an external fuel gauge.

The instrument panel should have a main ground wire (black), and if its disconnected you will have problems with all kinds of things. You also need 12 volts from the fuse box to the instruments, and there should be a separate fuse for that circuit. Power will be switched on and off through the ignition switch.

Bruce
Old 02-12-2010, 02:37 AM

fuel gauge and wiring.

i gutted everything. cant i just run 12 volts to the switch or something. im looking to do something simple. thank you
Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 AM

Locate the sending unit on the gas tank first. Find the sending unit wire (the other wire will be ground) and trace it back toward the instrument cluster.
Buy an add-on fuel gauge that uses a 0-90 ohm sender (very common) and install it under the dash.
Connect 12 volts switched to one side of the gauge, and the sending unit wire to the other side. The gauge should now work.

Bruce
Old 02-21-2010, 01:18 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

taillights are dark brown wires, also for parking lamps and for license plate lamp

all same

commonly the rear harnesses are hacked up a bunch and is why things dont work in the rear.

can make a new one from a donor truck or from an extension cord with common 16 guage copper stranded wires in it

fuel guage is hot all the time to the guage when key is in run position

if the guage reads past full with key on then the wire from sending unit to dash is open somewhere

or the sender unit is junk

ground the black wire at the sender unit and it should peg to the far right side and beyond.... on the guage

if so then the hot is fine to the guage and it is bad sender unit, it wire from it to the dash

check connector at back of cluster also,

zero resistance = empty

90 ohms resistance = full

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.