1972 Chevy w/electronic ignition - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2004, 05:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1972 Chevy w/electronic ignition

I recently bought a 1972 Chevy (V8) and for several weeks, the truck started and ran fine. I went out to start it one morning, and the thing wouldn't even act like it wanted to turn over. Nothing happens when I turn the key. No starter noise, no noise at all. The accessories come on fine. I checked the battery and found the voltage looked great. I took the terminals off and cleaned the battery post.

After several weeks of no starting, I walked out about 1 week ago, put the key in the ignition, and the truck fired right up. I had to move another car from behind the truck. I took the key out of the ignition, moved the other car, and when I went back to start the truck again, it wouldn't start again, and it hasn't started since.

I suspect the ignition switch, but want to find out if there is a way to test the ignition first. Any other ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2004, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Last edited by roys63; 02-15-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:19 PM

Sounds to me like the neutral safety switch needs adjusting or the starter solenoid needs to be replaced.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:45 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Intermittent electrical problems can be bummers. Since yours is "dead" more than "alive", a logical sequence is available. Start at the switch. It could just be worn out, but don't just throw it away. Use a test light as suggested or a meter to see if you have power on the S pole with the ignition held in the on positition. If none, bad switch. If you have power, then go to the neutral safety switch if it is still there. Check that you have continuity across the two poles with the shifter in Park and/or Neutral. If not, jiggle the shift lever while monitering the meter for continuity. This will be an adjustment fix if you get the continuity. If this fails, use the light or meter to make sure you have voltage to the switch when the ignition is held to the Start position. If no voltage, replace the wire from the ignition switch of find the break and repair. If voltage is present, make sure the shift lever is in Park and jump across the poles of the neutral safety switch . If motor turns over, then replace the neutral safety switch. If motor did not turn over, then your problem is in the selonoid or the battery lead where it connects to the Selonoid. During this process make sure all your connections are tight and not showing signs of corrosion.

Trees
Old 02-12-2004, 02:56 PM

72 chevy...

Thanks for all the help. newbie here so thanks for the responses.

I took a jumper and went from the +battery post to the positve contact on the solenoid. I didn't have any help, so after I attached, I went in and turned the key over. Nothing happened.

There was a 1+ dg. drop in voltage according to my voltmeter. I am assuming that more voltage is needed to turn the starter.

Is this a good indiaction that the starter assembly is bad?

Also, how can the ignition switch be checked with the unit "in use"? I would like to check the switch just to be sure, but I don't see how to attach a voltmeter anywhere.

1 more quick point.

Am I correct in assuming that the steering whell needs to be removed to check the neutral safety switch?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:57 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

OK, you are not able to follow my last post. No the neutral safety swich is not in the steering columnunder the steering wheel It should be under the hood near the end of the column and where the shifter arm can activate/deactivate it. There will be two wires atached. One will be from the ignition switch and the other goes to the small terminal on the starter selonoid. Not sure by your description what you tried to do with a wire from the Positive on the batt to the starter If you went to the small ignition post on the selonoid (same one wire from NS attaches) the starter should have tried to engage. If you went to the large post, then you did nothing because that is where the large cable from the positive batt terminal attaches. By the way, you need to remove this cable at the battery and the starter, clean with a wire brush and reattach both. I did not put this in my last post because your plate was full. Disconnect ground lead from batt first and clean as well and reattach last.

Trees

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.