1972 g m c truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-31-2001, 06:51 PM
New Member
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: colorado
Posts: 19
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post 1972 g m c truck

does any one know if a 400 turbo tranmission
will fit in 1972 g m c truck? i have 350 eng
if so is there any thing i wood have to change like were it mount, linkage,rearend,
and so on. also how long can you leave a
tramission set with use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-02-2001, 06:01 PM
New Member
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, the 400 turbo will fit in the 72 chevy. I have a 72 chevy pickup with a built 350 and I put in a 400 turbo. You have to move the cross member back about 4 inches. Geting the bolts out of the crossmember in a pain! The new holes are already there so that makes it easier. I think you might have to change the end of the driveline , but I don't remember. good luck with teh swap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-13-2001, 08:20 AM
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: north carolina
Posts: 37
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can offer some advice as I work on these trucks all the time at my shop. If you swap to a 400 , use the short shaft version and if you want to do away with a future problem cut the rivets and remove the center support bracket completely and have a one piece driveshaft cut for it . He is right about moving the crossmember back and you will need a 400 yolk because the 400 has a bigger output shaft . otherwise everything else will work . The 400 has an electronic passing gear switch that mounts on the carburator on these trucks but you can put a switch on the bracket above the gas pedal . its adjustable and people run lots of 400 trans without them . If the trans is stock it needs the switch , with a shift kit you can get by without it . I have it on my 69 bigblock truck and the 400 works perfect .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Please select your insurance company (Optional)


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.