1973 buick 455 more power from all stock? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1973 buick 455 more power from all stock?

hey im 19 and i know the basics about engines but i dont know engines alot tho,i own a 1973 buick riviera with the buick 455 thats all stock without air conditioner if that matters, im just wondering how could i get a bit more power out of it without removing the enigne or rebuilding it ect...im not very rich so i cant rebuild it due to not enough money, but i have some cash flow to make a few changes under the hood. wats a fwe things i should replace to add horespower to it? to you guys that own 455's wats a good carb to put on it that can go with the original intake? and can i upgrade the cam at all without getting new heads or intake or anything else like that? i get about 400$ a mounth so im not rich. and to anyone that has owned a 73 riviera whats a good muffler to put on that sounds mean and has a rumble at idle and take off? flowmaster magnaflow cherry bomb glass pack? ect... its duel exhaust without cats by the way. and also would an engine like that running too lean or running too rich affect the horespower? and how do i tell if its running to lean or rich? im a rookie, im just learning about engine's

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

73 is a low compression engine. The only way to build horsepower is to build cylinder pressure.

The old stock class drag racers used to run total advance in the ignition as high as 50 degrees BTDC. This and a reground camshaft that helped build cylinder pressure made these cars very fast. For their size. The Q-jet carb can be made to run well also. But, it ain't cheap. and the stock rear end gear ratio on that car will never be a world beater..
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Last photo:

Clean up/rebuild the Rochester carb. its perfect for that motor if its operating correctly.

Do a compression test to make sure all is well with the engine. Make sure it has a quality cap/rotor, wires and plugs. Make sure your vacuum, and centrifugal, advance work on the distributor. Advance the timing 6-10 degree's(you will have to experiment to get the best setting) Listen for spark knock caused by too much timing or low octane fuel( You may have to run premium, depending on timing)

Changing the rear axle ratio is a help for those cars. Most have 2 series gearing, changing to low to mid 3 gearing will add a big punch for that car, but you'll probably lose some MPG do to the higher cruising rpm.

Adding a set of headers connected to your dual exhaust will let the engine breath better, picking the power level and torque up a bit.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.