1973 catalina engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2001, 06:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1973 catalina engine

I've got a 1973 Pontiac Catalina with a v8-400 VIN ST 4-bbl, 6.6L engine. The car is pretty much shot, but man I would love to use that engine in something else. It really hauls!

So how can I find out what other cars will accept this engine? I've searched around, but haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2001, 01:27 PM

I'm no expert on Pontiacs but I used to mess around with them . I believe you will be able to place ths engine into most other Pontiac chassis except the firebird(?) The 455 should have motor mounts for all chassis including firebird . Other than that I think all Pontac V8's are interchangeable on many external parts such as intakes and heads ,starters , etc. The oddball of the bunch is the 301 -avoid those ! As far as using this engine in a streetrod , block it up in the engine compartment and set it so that the steering and exhaust and distributor etc. clear everthing - fabricate some motor mount stands and weld'em in . Pontiac engines run smooth and make gobs of torque - smoke them babies off !
Old 01-04-2002, 04:45 PM

That engine sounds like the small block 400 (same basics as a GM 350), look at it and compare it to a 350... ie: small valve covers vs big block type, etc. If it is the small block version, it has as much bottom end torque as a big block and will bolt in anywhere a 350 will. Rare engine, vintage 72-74, mostly seen in Canadian built Monte Carlos... had one, and they go like hell...

CrazyCraig

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« - | Line Lockers »