Hot Rod Forum banner

1973 ford f100

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
i have a 73 ford f100 with the 300 inline 6 and i was wondering what i can do to make it faster.

#3 ·
welcome............moving this to the engine forum.................

the 300 six is a lower RPM torque engine.........It's got good power but is designed to work hard, not necessarily go fast. Your best bet would probably change to a v8.

#6 ·
i have a 300 6 in a 84 f150, offy intake, holley carb, forged pistons, headman header, lots of head work, 9.75 comp ratio,crane 487/515 lift cam, wild little motor, 470ftlbs at 3700, 403hp at 5350. but feasibility, hell no, i wouldnt do it again, :spank: ive got about $2800 in the motor :pain: ,and it not reliable. a v8 is the way to go. size matters. :D

#8 ·
dare to be true to your ride

i often run into hotrodders who think big horses means big you know, but i think you should polish up the gem of the truck you already have. minor performance upgrades are available but you have to do some digging around. id start from the rear end and work my way forward. trust me i enjoy my v-8 but gas prices dont let me drive it as often as i would like

#9 ·
Back in the early 70s there was a guy with a roadster and a 240 Ford six banger in it. It ran awesome but then again it was a lot lighter than a PU truck. The story behind it was that it had 2 Boss 302 heads with one combustion chamber cut off of each one and had the rest of it spliced together. I don't know if the story was true or not but if it is it sure would be cool to have a setup like that. It might cost an arm and a leg though.

Danny

#10 ·
Kampr said:
Back in the early 70s there was a guy with a roadster and a 240 Ford six banger in it. It ran awesome but then again it was a lot lighter than a PU truck. The story behind it was that it had 2 Boss 302 heads with one combustion chamber cut off of each one and had the rest of it spliced together. I don't know if the story was true or not but if it is it sure would be cool to have a setup like that. It might cost an arm and a leg though.

Danny
yupp.. 351 Cleveland heads will fit with mods... Boss 302 heads are 351C heads, made before the 351C came out...

#11 ·
Kampr said:

Danny
This type of head surgery was commonplace before the advent of aftermarket heads.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.