1973 Ford Torino Disc Brakes......... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 08:19 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

1973 Ford Torino Disc Brakes.........

I need to know if anybody out there knows if 1973 Ford Torino power disc brakes will work on my 1973 Ford Mustang that currently has manual front drums?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I need to know if anybody out there knows if 1973 Ford Torino power disc brakes will work on my 1973 Ford Mustang that currently has manual front drums?
I don't know anyone who has used the Torino stuff.

The 75-80 Granada/Maverick 11 inch stuff bolts right on with no geometry changes. Everything else fits, proportioning valve, power unit, master cyl. etc. For manual brakes the Granada 1" manual brake master cylinder works perfectly with no additional leg-pedal pressure, but the 79 only Mustang manual brake cylinder is 7/8" and gives a lighter pedal feel but the pedal goes down about an inch farther. The 79 manual application only has lines in inches size, every other Fox car has metric size. Direct bolt on. Be sure to get all the parts off a single donor car as there were 3 different caliper numbers used over the years. Avoid the 74. Wagner ThrermoQuiet brake pads are my choice. Don't buy "cheap" pads, and definitely swirl finish those rotors.

Oh ya, and grab that Granada 1" (15/16) sway bar for $ 20 while you are there. Use all poly bushings in the front end.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 AM

It should be the typical 11" disc with single piston sliding caliper.Fone to Bendix tech line and they will answer you.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

The complete Granada assembly , knuckles, rotors, calipers, sway bar, prop valve, master cyl. brings around $ 100 here, complete removed from the car and handed to you.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 PM

Last photo:

I already have a 77 Granada I picked up a month ago for $300, but I am going to use the disc brakes and rearend on my 66 Mercury Comet. I seen the 73 Torino disc brakes in a pick and pull junkyard yesterday and was wondering. I have heard that the Torino had the same suspension as a Mustang, but I need to know for sure. I priced the disc brake parts off the Torino at the junkyard and it should run around $80 for everything, so if it would work it would be a good deal. If anybody knows for sure, please let me know I would really appreciate it.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:29 AM

Last photo:

Have them look in the Hollander interchange book and see if it is Granada stuff. I am not sure, I think those frame-Torinos have a different length arm, measure and compare to your uni-body-Granada. Ford is pretty standard on ball joints.

I am thinking that the big Torino stuff is more like a 65 Galaxie with the coil spring on the lower control arm.

Last edited by xntrik; 10-17-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:16 AM

Last photo:

They looked up the calipers and rotors for me and they said it was the same as the Mustang. I asked them about the spindles and it wasn't in the Hollander Book. The 73 Torino I looked at had a unibody and wasn't full framed. I was kind of surprised, because I thought Ford changed the Torino platform to a full frame in 1972. I am going back this morning to take a look at it and do some measuring, hopefully it is the same.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

I was wrong, the 1973 Torino had a full frame with a suspension different than the Mustang. The spindles were almost 3/4 taller than my Mustang spindles so I skipped over this brake deal. At least I found a fan for my Dodge Dart, so today wasn't a total loss.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
I was wrong, the 1973 Torino had a full frame with a suspension different than the Mustang. The spindles were almost 3/4 taller than my Mustang spindles so I skipped over this brake deal. At least I found a fan for my Dodge Dart, so today wasn't a total loss.
It is never a loss... we are gearheads.. just being there counts..... . lol

Good. thanks for the info.

I know the mid size Bird/Cougar (Torino??) from the late 77-79 the stuff bolts onto the 56 Ford... friend doing one now.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.