1974 454 ticking sound - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1974 454 ticking sound

Got a ticking sound in this engine. Sounds like a lifter or valve tick but is not consistent. It may click a couple times and then not tick for a second or two and then not miss a beat again for several seconds. I would THINK that a valve would make a consistent sound. The truck does have headers on it and I have considered an exhaust leak but I just dont know. That I would kinda think would be consistent too. I tightened the bolts up on the headers today (they werent really loose but could have been tighter, so I tightened them) and the sound didnt change any.

Any more ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Pontiac Pilot

My Formula does this sometimes. One day I'll hear ticking, the next day, I might not. I think it's normal for a little tick, especially in older pushrod engines. Maybe your valves need set? I'm not sure, I'm still kinda new to engines myself...
Old 02-28-2011, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

This one ticks every time every day, its just that it occasionally misses a tick or two here n there. Otherwise it has a steady rhythm, but the missing tick is totally random with no pattern. I guess maybe it could be a valve but I dont know. I did set the valves myself when I installed this engine about a year ago (hasn't been run very much at all since then).

I did reuse a paper header gasket that had been previously used a little but came off in one piece. I suppose it could be an exhaust leak but I just dont know.

It sounds just like this old ajax engine except with a tick instead of the cylinder hitting noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZUd...eature=related

You can hear it fire a couple times, skip a beat or two and keep on firing. The skipping a few and doing it again with no real pattern. Thats how this engine sounds with its ticking noise.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:45 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
This one ticks every time every day, its just that it occasionally misses a tick or two here n there. Otherwise it has a steady rhythm, but the missing tick is totally random with no pattern. I guess maybe it could be a valve but I dont know. I did set the valves myself when I installed this engine about a year ago (hasn't been run very much at all since then).

I did reuse a paper header gasket that had been previously used a little but came off in one piece. I suppose it could be an exhaust leak but I just dont know.

It sounds just like this old ajax engine except with a tick instead of the cylinder hitting noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZUd...eature=related

You can hear it fire a couple times, skip a beat or two and keep on firing. The skipping a few and doing it again with no real pattern. Thats how this engine sounds with its ticking noise.
Could be anything from a worn cam lobe to the rocker adj. You need to keep looking from the top down.

When is the last time you changed the oil?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 AM

Last photo:

I haven't changed it since I installed the engine. It hasn't been run very much at all. I used Rotella oil and I think a WIX filter. The way I understand it Rotella oil has some kind of extra additive in it that is healthier for older engines, thats why I chose it.

I took all valves to zero lash plus 3/4 turn while the lobe was off the lifter (or on the lifter, whatever it was the Chilton book said, I followed its instructions. I've never had any problems setting valve lash before so I am really thinking its not that. I suppose I could use a hose as a stethoscope and attempt to locate a noisy valve.

If its a lifter making the noise, is that just an annoyance, or is it detrimental to performance/mileage/etc?

The engine seems to run perfect, lots of power (especially with 4.10 gears behind it), starts great (right off the key infact, when warm).

One thing I am unsure of is oil pressure. The gauge is stuck all the way over (past the high mark), which I am sure is due to a bad sending unit but I believe the oil pressure is fine, It HAS been run enough to be damaged by lack of oil pressure and it isnt damaged. I think it is either an exhaust leak that isnt evident or more likely something in the valvetrain.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Check that oil pressure! it is never good enough to think its ok, always be sure. I don't know where you live, or the conditions that your truck is stored in, but in my parts oil should be changed seasonally regardless of mileage because of condensation. You might also want to check your oil for gas, or anti freeze contamination. A crack in the water jacket, or fuel leaking by the crab could cause the oil to become contaminated, which could cause a tick.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

The oil is visually fine, I check it frequently. I do plan to pickup a new sending unit in a day or two and get that going again. Thats one gauge that is really needed.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454

dang...if my engine sounded like that...i'd hit the deck

i would check the most serious suspect first...oiling...i would pull valve cover. start car and quickly verify all rockers getting oil. can shut off engine b4 oil starts slinging. no need to make a mess.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.