1974 chevy truck stock 350 tranny leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1974 chevy truck stock 350 tranny leak

im 19 years old and jsut getting new to this car stuff, i know a bit but not a lot, im about to buy a 1979 chevy silverado with stock 350 and a 1974 chevy duelex 10 or a custom 10 i forget with the stock 350, but both of thoes trucks for 800$ the silverado has a bad frame no box and a rough cab but still has a good interior the 350 witch burns oil the tranny witch is good and the rear end and rims, the 74 has a good frame an alright cab but comes with rocker sils and new cab corners to weld inplace and ahs the chevy 350 with headers on it and duel exhaust and the guy says it runs like a dream and burns no oil, MAIN CONSERN he said the tranny has a leak at the rear of it and says its a seal all i gotta do is remove the driveshaft and unbolt 4 bolts on the back of the tranny and a part comes out and replace a 20$ gasket and its good to go, i know nothing about trannys, is that an easy job to do in a driveway at home? or is there a special way of doing this and if you do it wrong gears springs and small parts can/will fall out if you do it the wrong way ectt.... and he said the box is good all i need is 3 cross members for the box cuz the ones on it are rotten, never owend a truck befor its just for a winter beater im inot classic cars more but its still a classic so its fine by me is there anything else i could use as cross members like wood or somthing? any ideas? and does this sound like a good deal for 800$? he originaly wanted 1200$ but got him down to 800$

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Last photo:

The Rear seal #074 is simple to replace, remove the Driveshaft & use a Screwdriver to bend/pry out the old Seal. Use a large Socket etc... to install the new Seal. If the Seal/Gasket #348 between the Trans case & Tailhousing is leaking you'll need to remove the 4-Bolts & change.
Pic/Info >> https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.a...0C&Schematic=4
Old 09-05-2012, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

leak'n

the 4 bolts your talking about remove the tail part of tranny.. is it leaking there ???? if so it slides off... but it's most like the rear seal... but a 64 said.. pry it out and tap in a new one.. napa should have this parts.. its a little messy..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.