Hot Rod Forum banner

1974 Dart shift kit

884 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  scrot 
#1 ·
I need some opinions on whether I should install a shift kit in a 1974 Dart with 318 and I think 727 trans. The car and trans have 132K miles on them and I'm a little afraid the shift kit might end the life of the 727 trans. Any thoughts are appreciated. :confused:

#2 ·

Well, I have an opinion...If putting a shift kit in the car will make you want to manual shift the tranny, or bang it harder through the shift points, which these kits may give you a tendency to do, then don't do it. Then again, those are probably the very reasons you want a shift kit. Depending on how you drive the car now, and then , after the kit is put in, may very well affect the tranny.

#3 ·
It's a 904 trans.
Good question. Maybe someone will know for sure.

I'm thinking on one hand the stock trans will shift softer and slower so, if the frictions are worn and glazed, it might last a awhile.

On the other hand, putting in the shift kit will quicken the shifts, putting a load on the frictions the instant the gear changes, increasing the chance of slipping. But the kit increases line pressure some :confused: .
You can change the 2nd gear band apply rocker arm so it will shift quicker AND hold harder.....so I say GO FOR IT!
Put the shift kit in and adjust it for the [strip] mode and tell your Mom to hold on to her dentures :D when she drives it to the Rite Aid for her prescriptions! :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.