Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1975 buick electra 455 engine
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM
quadrajunk a name earned

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpetrill
gas their was 10 gal of gas in car 10 years installed additional 15 gal car ran great should I drain all gas and flush tank..... the miss was in car before I changed plugs, wires,cap,roter sounds as if car jumped time, it bucks and lugs, turns over fast then slowes down as if battery is dead then fast again,wires are correct pulled plugs cleaned all 8 checking timing tomorrow to no#1 cylinder then pull cap to make sure its pointing to #1 thank you
Agree with potential fuel & carb problems. Be sure and have a strong battery other wise you run the risk of not have enough voltage at the HEI distributor coil during cranking.

This is the problem I had with my Pontiac 400. I was too cheap to go buy a new battery and the old battery was only good for about 5 crank revolutions before the voltage dropped down so far the coil didn't have enough voltage to generate a strong spark. I measured this with a volt meter and observed the weak spark by removing plug #1 and cranking the engine. A new battery solved my problem.

Hang a volt meter on the distributor 12V line and you will see the voltage drop during cranking.

BT