Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1975 buick electra 455 engine
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpetrill
454 c10 took off valve covers had 4 bent valve rods,worked them out was a bugger I might as well take off intake manifold set aside....pulled out all valve rods took off intake gasket their were 2 lifters lying on bottom, one was apart lost retainer clip, all parts were recovered...... 4rocker arm retainers,were snapped off found those pieces also,rocker arms were off valve springs doing zip..........ordered new push rods and lifters the old lifters are flat on bottom I only have 28 thousand on moter ran fine before gum up don"t think need a cam..... drained all gas out of tank ordered carb kit if I need to start after repair will take rubber line off fuel pump that goes to tank drop hose in 5 gal can so its fresh gas........
Sorry to say, but it sounds like you had the same problem as I did with old gas. I bet the intake valves stuck in the guides and the lifter and pushrods had nowhere to go but sideways. hence, all the broken and bent parts.

If the lifters came apart and the pushrods bent then you will need a new cam. so pull out the radiator, fan, shroud, water pump, balancer, front timing chain cover.

furthermore, I would bet the valves are stuck which means the heads need to come off. you should go ahead and get a valve job while the heads are off.

I would have never guessed old gas could be so damaging to an engine if I had experienced it first hand.