1975 buick electra 455 engine - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Making up your own cables is a real good idea. Not only will it cost less, but they will be better than most anything offered at the local parts store. Marine grade cables are also good- but pricey.

Get the cable terminals at the same place you get your cable, they aren't available just any-ol'-where. You might even ask if they have a hydraulic crimper w/the correct die size that you could get them to use before you solder the ends as a final coup de grāce.

Regarding terminal crimping vs. soldering (or both), THIS is just one of many discussion on the subject.

Personally, I tend to crimp then solder whenever possible. But that said, a PROPER crimp- done w/a quality tool, to the correct pressure and using good terminals, AND having the insulation stripped correctly so as to not weaken any strands- is a good connection, period- and needs nothing else except in special circumstances.

One thing that's often done, is either no tinning is done, or the wire is OVER tinned. This is where the wire wicks up the solder past the end that will be in contact w/the terminal. Any vibration or frequent movement of the wire can easily fatigue the copper, causing a premature failure.

Another problem can come w/crimping a tinned wire then re-soldering the terminal. This can actually loosen the mechanical (crimped) connection when the solder melts the second time, causing the wires to "relax" into the terminal w/less compression.

I have always crimped, then soldered. And I use shrink wrap. Not heated w/a match or cigarette lighter- but w/a hot air gun.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 08:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpetrill
454 c10 took off valve covers had 4 bent valve rods,worked them out was a bugger I might as well take off intake manifold set aside....pulled out all valve rods took off intake gasket their were 2 lifters lying on bottom, one was apart lost retainer clip, all parts were recovered...... 4rocker arm retainers,were snapped off found those pieces also,rocker arms were off valve springs doing zip..........ordered new push rods and lifters the old lifters are flat on bottom I only have 28 thousand on moter ran fine before gum up don"t think need a cam..... drained all gas out of tank ordered carb kit if I need to start after repair will take rubber line off fuel pump that goes to tank drop hose in 5 gal can so its fresh gas........
Sorry to say, but it sounds like you had the same problem as I did with old gas. I bet the intake valves stuck in the guides and the lifter and pushrods had nowhere to go but sideways. hence, all the broken and bent parts.

If the lifters came apart and the pushrods bent then you will need a new cam. so pull out the radiator, fan, shroud, water pump, balancer, front timing chain cover.

furthermore, I would bet the valves are stuck which means the heads need to come off. you should go ahead and get a valve job while the heads are off.

I would have never guessed old gas could be so damaging to an engine if I had experienced it first hand.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Visit the NASCAR Hall of Fame

Wiki Edits: 0

solvent

Marvel Mystery oil and time dissolves most varnish, or transmission fluid, either mixed with harsh lacquer thinner.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
And I use shrink wrap. Not heated w/a match or cigarette lighter- but w/a hot air gun.
Excellent point, thanks for that. Keeping moisture out of the connection will go a long ways toward having a serviceable cable for a long time.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.