Hot Rod Forum banner

1975 Chevy Stepside

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  PapaG 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm kinda new and I just wanted your guys opinion on some stuff. First off, what motor would e bet to put in a 1975 Chevy Stepside short bed 4x4? Also what kind of seats, bench or bucket? Thanks

#4 ·
Remove the body lift or re-align the shaft where it goes through the firewall by repositioning the housing-to-firewall plate and redrilling the screw holes in the firewall...you might also need to cut the firewall opening a bit bigger at the bottom to get the needed travel. Body lift also screws up the fan to radiator centerline, messing with the fan shroud fit.

Best engine is completely subjective, and inline 6 cylinder, 4.3 V6, any small block chevy, any big block chevy, a GM diesel, or the modern LS small block could all be easily fitted....the engine bay will accept almost anything, including Ford, Chrysler, Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or AMC engine if you want to build frame mounts for them.

#8 · (Edited)
Yes!!
But then again!!
It depends on what tranny and diff gears you got.
A granny four gear with 4.10's and stock is good.
An automatic and 3.08's or 3.73's would need a better cam etc.

As for your seat question, it depends!!
Do you cruise the local hangouts or do you do a lot of off-road fun?
Stock bench for off-road and buckets for cruising.
The bench seat will handle a lot more abuse for rough use.
Here's some pics of some seats I just had. THe buckets were nice but noisy, the bench more practical. In my old 84 Chevy.

Attachments

#9 ·
I suggested bone stock 350 because we used to go 4 wheelin in the foothills of the Rockies. From 3500 feet elevation up to 4500 feet. In a 78 Chevy 350 4 speed and 4.10 gears. Never missed a beat. Smooth idle, great torque for low speed.
So, Hcompton here's the bench seat rule.
If you see 3 dudes in the cab, which one is the cowboy?
Always the guy in the middle because he doesn't drive and he doesn't get the gates!!
And the cowboy won't understand what shifting is! LOL!!

#10 ·
You asked about engines, but did not give any details about the rest of your drivetrain. The most common combination in 1975 was the 350 SBC with TH350 automatic and an NP203 full-time transfer case. There were a few NP205 transfer cases installed with the 4 speed manual, and in some of the 1 ton trucks with TH350's, but I don't think it was offered in 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons with an automatic. If you are running that much lift you probably also have big tires (33" or 35"?), so you need at least 4.10 gears to get it moving in the mud.

I think the most popular SBC performance replacement for your truck would be a 383 stroker with good aluminum heads and a mid-range roller cam. You could use either carburetor or fuel injection, depending on how much you want to spend. Another great choice is a complete drivetrain from a truck with a 5.3 liter GM engine and a 4L80 4 speed overdrive. You have to get a kit to make the electronic shifting work if you don't use the computer, but the kits are readily available. Most of these newer drivetrains are relatively cheap in the junkyard, and the engine is reliable if it has not been abused.

Body lifts screw up radiator alignment, but they are still fairly common. Suspension lifts are easy to install up to about 2", but 4" or 6" will get the steering misalignment you have seen, and cause bump steer problems. You can get a dropped steering arm that will help compensate, but it might not completely solve the problem. I would take off the body lift and just stick with a good quality suspension lift.

Bruce

#12 ·
93 6.5 turbo transmission controller

pre-95 chevrolet with a diesel and a 4l80e.

The early stand alone controllers will not run the later transmissions. The only years with stand alone were 91-93 and occasionally a 94 van. You would have to find a 91-93 trans also to use with the controller.

94-97ish p30 stepvans without turbo still run the computer for trans only. they had manual pumps on the non-turbo ones.

The pressure control solenoid in the later transmissions runs at a different frequency. That is the reason the early controller won't work.

16173659 91 - 93 has that number

94 and up is 16196390 .

1992-1993 engine had no PCM. only thing that was electronic was the tranny. theres a TPS on the ip that tells the TCM whats going on throttle wise.

I did a lot of researcher on using the 4l transmission instead of a 700r4 tranny and this is what I found... Aftermarket controllers are in the $400 to $800 range. MegaSquirt makes a controller and bauman controller to name a few.

We did replace many a 700r4 in 4x4 to older 350 turbo trannys, before people knew how to make them last.

#11 ·
Many moons ago, a young man worked for me, he jacked his new truck (78?)up and put big mudders. I have no idea on the size anymore, 35 years or so ago. It would not run 50 mph on the freeway with the stock gears(3.08 most likely) A gear swap and he way in business. I think he went 4.10 Very tall tires for back the.

My point is big tires can kill your on road performance and driveabilty. Keep the whole package.

6 cylinders will have more torque than a comparable V engine. That is why so many big diesels are in-line engines.

292 GM and the Ford 300 6 cylinders are tough engines. I never had a 292, but have driven them. I have had a Ford 300 6 cylinder before and worked on a 2wd mud racer with one... It way kick but... Clifford Engineering has a lot of goodies for the 6 cyl engines. The mud truck ran several of their parts. 4 barrel carb manifold..

Build what makes you happy. It is your truck.. But listen to people. But haters will be haters on engines and everything else...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.