Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1976 Ford 302 Build Q's
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If it is a early 76 engine it will have 58cc heads, Ford didn't change the heads to a 69cc chamber until late 76. Your compression ratio is really low due to a deep dish in the pistons. Even if you find a set of pre 66 289 head with 54cc chambers and bolt them on, your compression won't be more than 8:5 to 1. The Autolight four barrel you have is designed for a big block engine in a heavy car. That carb will make your car run even slower. If you go with a Autolight 4100 find one calibrated for a small block, flow ratings are around 480cfm otherwise use a Edelbrock 500cfm four barrel. The 2 1/2" exhaust is going to kill all of you bottom end torque, I would step it down to 2 1/4". I don't have much experience with the Edelbrock knock off intakes, but if it was me, I would spend the extra $50 and get a Edelbrock intake or a Weiand intake. You do have a good looking car there and it would be a good car to hop a little bit, but don't expect much out of it with your dismal compression ratio.