Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1976 Ford 302 Build Q's
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 02:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thank you for all the advice!

I talked to Pony Carbs last week and told them that I was considering using the Edelbrock Top End Kit. Before calling Pony Carbs, I contacted Edelbrock, they said I need at least 9.5:1 compression (I agree) and a 650 to 700cfm carb......which I find excessive.

I called Barry Grant the same day, and they suggested a 650cfm Speed Demon......I think it's too much.

After contacting Edelbrock and Barry Grant, Pony Carbs informed me that seeing that the Autolite 4100's flow about 550cfm, I should be fine, and to call them when all is setup so that they can send me the proper jet sizes.
There was an independent test done to SAE standards (I forgot the link since I printed it but it was Charlie's Automotive in Apex, NC), and it was discovered that the 4 of the "big" 1.12 venturi sized 4100's flowed 503cfm, 523cfm, 526cfm and 528cfm.....I was shocked!

Pony carbs also informed my that 95% of the 4100's have the exact same casting, with the exception of the venturis of course, and therefore they could configure my carb for my needs.

So currently, I believe that the only thing holding me back is my pistons.......and money...........and complete lack of experience

Last edited by sixty9santa; 12-08-2008 at 02:37 PM.