Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1976 Ford 302 Build Q's
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thank you for the advice and I'll steer clear of the "P" heads.
Instead, I'll save up for the Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End Kit to keep things simple on my first build.

I know that removing the engine from the car is the best way so I may have a question that might be completely stupid but, can I change my pistons with the engine still in the car? Could it be done, safely?

I ask this since I have absolutely no space for the car in the garage, not to mention that an engine hoist is out of my budget at the moment (no possibility to rent either). I can get a complete set, minus rings, of +3cc hypereutectic pistons from Summit Racing for about 90$ (part#: SUM-17302-00) and a set of moly piston rings (part#: SUM-133-M139-00) for about 36$ that should work with the above mentioned pistons.
Would this be a wise thing to do?
Would +3cc pistons work with a 60cc chambered heads to get my compression between 9:1 and 9.5:1 with a tall deck?

I know that I must be irritating with all my newbie questions, and I do apologize for my lack of experience and knowledge. Feeling kinda dumb,

Chris

Last edited by sixty9santa; 12-11-2008 at 01:29 AM.