Hot Rod Forum banner

1977 camaro Project

6K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bigbadbowtie 
#1 ·
Some questions,

i have recently aquired , a 1977 camaro Lt. i has currently a 305ci, in it i have done some work to it , i have moslty the top end rebuit, and "souped up" so to speak .
i am looking to eventually swap out the engine, and i am looking for some ideas, any would help. 350ci? big block?
i dont know , was going to go with a 335 stroker just cause no one has one and you dont hear about it. I know it is a bad idea but i want it to be original, so any thoughts no mater how insane would be appreciated

Thanks

#2 ·
really all depends on your coin-box and its depth.
The easiest , cheapest way to go would be another small block , that way your bell housing would still work out with the engine.
Got cabbage to spare? Big block. 6 speed Vette trans. Tub it out.Ford 9" rear.4 wheel discs.
roll cage.NoS. :D
Better bet would be to go over the brake system front to back.Check/replace bearings, bushings , etc.Get a fire extinguisher.Make sure she's safe and sound and then have some fun.
Or just drop a hemi in it! Dare to be different! Max Wedge in a chebbie?! oh ,the blasphemy! :spank:

#6 ·
My son & I are doing a 74 Camaro LT 350 4 speed. we are building a carberated Roller 350 engine 1st.

my buddie has D E E P POCKETS & he built this 73 Split Bumper Z/28 with a BBC roller 502 and a GM Ram Jet Fuel injection. $800 hooker super competition ceramic coated long tube headers & safety loops and a scatter shield & block saver plate and a Temec 5 speed with a moser 35 spline ford 9" with a Detroit Locker and slide a links. and he put the center line wheels and Mickey Thompson bias ply tires. he gave $10,000 for the Z/28 with fresh body work & paint (it has a hood it just wasn't on the car at this point) it had a nice 400SBC & M21 4 speed & a 10 bolt posi. he put $10,000 + in it. he built the motor to GMs 502 crate engine specs and put the GM Ram Jet Fuel injection on it. I think he said he had about $23,000 in it nd its not done yet. it is a sweet ride. he build this 40x40 garage last fall its insulated & it has heat & a/c and in it is a 23000mi 04 Dodge Cummings diesel 4dr 1 ton 4x4 P/U and a 06 Harley Davidson Heritage Soft tail classic with the screaming eagle big bore kit and all the goodies, he put $10,000 in accessories on this bike plus theres a 80 Harley chopper & the 73 Z/28 in there. this isn't a 1/3 of his toys.

#7 ·
The good thing on a chevy is the bell housing fits big or small block even a 6 cyl.so you are wide open on choice.Not my favorate but a 6 inline would sure be different and there are plenty of speed goodies out there,cheap to build and operate.Or put a 4.3 v6 with a small blower. :thumbup:

#10 ·
Slip the Z/28 suspension and brakes or equivalent under it with some good gas shocks and 17" wheels and tires. For the engine how about a 9.4 to 1 355 or 383 1 Pc. rear main using Vortec heads and D-cup pistons with the ZZ4 hydraulic roller cam, dual plane intake and a Jet Performance Q-Jet backed by a 200-4R OD and the stock 8.5" 10 bolt with a 3.73 posi. It would have decent handling and performance, run on 87 Octane and should get HWY MPG's in the low 20's if you don't spank on it all the time.

#11 · (Edited)
Depending on what you use it for, you can build a small block for a lot cheaper than you think, if you are going to wind it up all the time you will want to spend a little more money so it won't come apart.

I was just crunching some numbers and my 383 with:

Eagle rotating assembly
$350 in machining
Speed pro pistons
clevite bearings
fully balanced
New HO heads completely rebuilt
polished weiand intake, polished valve covers,
Timing Gear Drive
Comp XE268H cam
Chromoly pushrods
Roller tip rockers

Brand new everything else, granted I don't have the distributor, plug wires, and carb yet but all the stuff above put together has cost me around 2100 bucks. As long as you are smart and shop around there is no reason you cant have a strong small block for less than 2500. You have to do the work yourself though and sometimes that takes research.

Different is nice, but you gotta have bang for your buck. How about a 397 or 434 small block. That will add about 1,000 to your build but those are definately different.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.