Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hey Chet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
That canister is a standard choke pull off and secondary lockout. It should open the choke 1/4" or so when the vehicle starts and then the choke should slowly open over the course of 5 minutes or so. It looks like you have the old style choke stove in the manifold. These can be problematic as they rot out or break. The other issue with these is if the wrong intake gaskets are used or the heat riser valve in the exhaust is defective no heat will reach the manifold and the choke wont open. There is a cross over passage that runs through the manifold and the valve in the exhaust closes at low rpm to force some exhaust through this passage to warm the manifold and choke spring. Without this functionality it will still open eventually but it can take a long time.
The most immediate question for me right now is should I ditch this carburetor all together? (I've got a Holley 650 cfm sitting around but I don't know if it will work with this manifold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
You need to get rid of that gas to start with and change the fuel filters, that could be half your problem. That filter at the carb is not looking to healthy either.
The filter before the carb was removed and cleaned. But I guess it couldn't hurt to replace it as well. I think the filter element is replaceable.

Thanks for the continued help!