Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

After almost a week, I got a chance to work on the truck today. As a refresher, I am trying to locate two valve cover bolts, one of which may have fallen into the oil drain-back port on top of the driver-side head. Both of the bolts are from the driver-side valve cover, nearest to the firewall and distributor. I never actually saw where any of the two bolts fell, nor did I hear them make a noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Check the crossmember and control arms.
I tried the flexible magnetic pick up with light again. I stuck it down the drain back ports, behind the engine (a few spark flew), and all over the top of the transmission. I even scrapped around with my hand everywhere I could reach, including the crossmember and control arms. All I got was lots of dried up grime. I even went and bought a gigantic magnet from Harbor Freight. But it was too strong to get anywhere near where I wanted it to be.

At this point, I'm inching more and more towards removing the intake manifold. The next step for me is distributor removal to see if I can find anything else behind the engine. I have never removed and reinstalled a distributor this before so any tips and warnings would be greatly appreciated. (All I really have to do is note which way the rotor is pointing, right? Or do I have to find TDC first?)

I plan to have a boroscope/digital inspection camera by tomorrow. Perfect timing as tomorrow Harbor Freight has the 25% off deal for Easter. I am split between the two models they carry: #67979 and #67980. Presently, I am leaning towards the pricier one because it has recording capability and, according to the reviews, is better suited for spark plug holes. If you have used one of these, feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

As always, thank you for the continued help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	54622  

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 04-23-2011 at 09:28 PM.