Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Oh yeah, one important note:

Don't go dropping your bolts in the hole.
Sunday evening, I went ahead and used the boroscope to look for the missing bolts. After some fiddling around (its tricky to control the flexible lens shaft, and oil can cover the lens), I found the second bolt exactly where I thought it had fallen: inside the oil drain back port nearest to the firewall. You can see a 30 second video of the discovery here . Previously, the bolt was not visible when pictures were taken of every port, unless one considers the sparkly reflection in image 4 the bolt head. (see post # 98). The two magnets never picked it up in the past either.

Below are the images of the bolt from the boroscope, completely unedited.

Excited and relieved that at least one bolt had been found, I went ahead and attempted to retrieve it, first with the magnetic pick up attachment on the boroscope. Here are the videos: first attempt (3:49), second attempt (1:52). As hard as I tried, the magnetic tip just could hold the bolt, perhaps due to oil.

I then went ahead and tried the flexible lighted magnetic pick up, and set up the boroscope to assist in viewing what was going on. The magnet did pick up the bolt, but the it fell off as the magnet reached the surface and the bolt scraped against the top of the port. This time when the bolt fell back in, it made a clanking noise for an uncomfortably long time. See the dramatic 18 second video here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven
if you look down one of those holes you will be looking directly at the lifters and the lifter valley. it has drain holes too, but they are more long and narrow. you don't want those bolts to go through the drain holes in the lifter valley because below that is the cam and lifters and then the crankshaft and con rods. lots of stuff to get jammed up in.
I used the boroscope for a long time to try and find out where the bolt may have landed this time, but no luck. Even tried the mirror attachment but found it limiting as to how far and deep the lens would go. I believe I did see the smaller drain holes. Below are the pictures taken using the boroscope.

------------------------

I went ahead tackled the distributor and also drained the radiator in preparation for removing the intake manifold. I am photographing everything as I go along. Updates coming soon.