Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1977 Chevrolet K10 - Starting Problems, Weak Idle and Power Loss
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy
Good luck with the hunting.
That, and some steady hands and Im in business.

Quote:
I went ahead tackled the distributor and also drained the radiator in preparation for removing the intake manifold. I am photographing everything as I go along. Updates coming soon.
I removed the distributor on Sunday.

I took a brief look around the firewall area to see if I could locate the black valve cover bolt I lost the first time. I even checked using the boroscope but nothing turned up.

------------------------------------

Today, I worked on removing the intake manifold again. I first went ahead and removed all the hoses, including the one from the A.I.R. pump running across the front of the engine. Is the middle one the bypass hose?

I then removed the control valve on top of the manifold that is for the Throttle Lever Actuator on the carburetor. The I tackled the bracket for the alternator.

I had some difficult removing what I believe is the thermostat/electric fan relay on top of the thermostat housing. Not wanting to break anything, I decided to leave it alone for the time being and removed the thermostat housing. It was filled with brown gunk.

I imagine these bolts for the thermostat housing will be fine after a trip to the Chem-Dip spa. Or should they be replaced?

Lastly, I removed the sensor pictured below. Not sure what it is for. It may be the water temperature switch, according to the exploded diagram of a typical gasoline V8 intake manifold on page 131 of "Chilton's Chevy/GMC Pick-Ups and Suburbans 1970-87" (copyright 1988; 1998 edition available here). See attached image below for reference.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	54707